OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a diatom since the 60s but I only use once or twice a year. Be careful about using it too often in a coral tank, that stuff you may see floating around is eaten by corals and they need it.
It’s a fish only tank but even so there’s lots of tanks around with super clear water that are nice reefs. That’s just your excuse to have dirty water Paul lol ;)

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those without monster sized tanks, you can also use the Marineland Magnum Polishing Canister Filter with diatomaceous earth (several options for filter elements). The old Vortex filters were really a pain to use and did not last very long when used in salt water. They would really polish up the water though.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a diatom since the 60s but I only use once or twice a year. Be careful about using it too often in a coral tank, that stuff you may see floating around is eaten by corals and they need it.
Are you using a Vortex filter, Paul?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have one working and five in various stages of corrosion that i use for parts

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if this unit is safe for inverts/coral? The unit appears to have a pressure valve tapped into it. It has been my experience that valves will often use brass as the fitting. I also noticed in some replacement parts a check valve that appeared to use brass in part of its mechanism. If this does contain brass, huge problem for use in a reef tank. Any one other than the OP using this in a reef tank?

Dennis

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it is just a mechanical filter and there is no brass in it. I have been using them since Nixon was President.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0079.JPG
@Paul B
Look here. First time out of the closet in many many years.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My XL Diatom filter is so rusty I can barely pick it up. But I just tried it and the motor still runs. It probably also doses iron as it runs. :confused:

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if this unit is safe for inverts/coral? The unit appears to have a pressure valve tapped into it. It has been my experience that valves will often use brass as the fitting. I also noticed in some replacement parts a check valve that appeared to use brass in part of its mechanism. If this does contain brass, huge problem for use in a reef tank. Any one other than the OP using this in a reef tank?

Dennis

Robert on here uses one on his reef with great success

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My XL Diatom filter is so rusty I can barely pick it up. But I just tried it and the motor still runs. It probably also doses iron as it runs. :confused:
Can you still find the filter that goes in it? I have my Diatom that I used 20 years ago when I had freshwater, but I'm scared to use the filter in it, as I used to use Coppersafe in my tank.

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix in some ROX carbon with the diatoms for water so clear it looks like air.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you still find the filter that goes in it? I have my Diatom that I used 20 years ago when I had freshwater, but I'm scared to use the filter in it, as I used to use Coppersafe in my tank.
I haven't ordered from this vendor, but I did run across this site. If they do indeed stock all of these parts for the Vortex that are shown, it looks like a great place to get hard to find components. Something to explore anyway.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can still get parts and the bag for mine. Don't worry about the coppersafe, just run it for an hour with fresh water in it.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have one working and five in various stages of corrosion that i use for parts

Wow, those pics bring back a lot of memories from my freshwater Oscar tank. I loved those filters along with the Eugene Danner filters.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ordered from this vendor, but I did run across this site. If they do indeed stock all of these parts for the Vortex that are shown, it looks like a great place to get hard to find components. Something to explore anyway.
Thanks a bunch!

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can still get parts and the bag for mine. Don't worry about the coppersafe, just run it for an hour with fresh water in it.
Thanks for the tip! Thats good to know! Glad I don't have to buy a new one, the old one is still in good shape! Those Vortex filters really held up good! I loved mine! It always made my water sparkling clear!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back