Hundreds of small worms on glass…

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was checking my tank after dark for copepods - I culture the little things but never see them after I put them in the tank. I’ve added literally hundreds of thousands but rarely see them more than a day after adding them.

Anyway… I realized there are literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of tiny worms on the glass. Kinda curious what they may be as the tank has been started with dry rock, only additions have been ORA clowns, and two Anthias and three hermits from the LFS. FOWLR tank - no corals. So a tip o’ the hat to them for making it into the tank, but now there here I’m curious what they are.

Current concern level is low, and am assuming random tiny detrivores, but was curious if these are a “thing” or if there’s anything to worry about.

You can see one of the larger ones next to the measuring card just above the “zero” and approximately lines up with the measurements - seems about 2-3mm long max, but hard to get the camera to lock onto them as they’re so tiny. The other photo are several dozen of the little things, illuminated from the side. Each blotch or squiggle seems to be one.

E1F4AFA2-13B7-4D30-81DC-662CED350813.jpeg 357128F5-06B5-49C2-83E8-7FF1CDA058DC.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just copepods microfauna which are good for the tank and fish. Typically out at night
Even if they’re definitely “wormy”? I’ve stuck a few copepods under a microscope and they look like tiny crustaceans, but these things move and look like tiny worms?

Not doubting - I’m just new at this.

/gonna try grab one for the microscope…

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was checking my tank after dark for copepods - I culture the little things but never see them after I put them in the tank. I’ve added literally hundreds of thousands but rarely see them more than a day after adding them.

Anyway… I realized there are literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of tiny worms on the glass. Kinda curious what they may be as the tank has been started with dry rock, only additions have been ORA clowns, and two Anthias and three hermits from the LFS. FOWLR tank - no corals.

Current concern level is low, and am assuming random tiny detrivores, but was curious if these are a “thing” or if there’s anything to worry about.

You can see one of the larger ones next to the measuring card just above the “zero” and approximately lines up with the measurements - seems about 2-3mm long max, but hard to get the camera to lock onto them as they’re so tiny. The other photo are several dozen of the little things, illuminated from the side. Each blotch or squiggle seems to be one.

E1F4AFA2-13B7-4D30-81DC-662CED350813.jpeg 357128F5-06B5-49C2-83E8-7FF1CDA058DC.jpeg

Is that a pineapple under the sea?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they’re definitely “wormy”? I’ve stuck a few copepods under a microscope and they look like tiny crustaceans, but these things move and look like tiny worms?

Not doubting - I’m just new at this.

/gonna try grab one for the microscope…
Maybe it's ciliates but they are ok for the tank to. I feel organisms like pods or whatever you have self regulate their population based on available food. I wouldn't see why some of your fish wouldn't go after them too

Perhaps a better pic or microscope view might help positive ID. Planaria are not good but again certain fish love to eat them. My 6 line eats all my red planaria.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to pull one out and put it on a microscope slide, but had less success with using the camera down the microscope as the phone kept trying to change lens…

So they seem more like clear centipedes, they have a dozen or so “legs” or propulsion devices on each side - little pointy protrusions that seem to be used to move about. One of the videos you can see it shuffling back and forth using these things. It doesn’t capture well in the video, but slightly segmented body.

Attachments

• IMG_8166.MOV
    18.4 MB
  • IMG_8158.MOV
    42 MB

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to pull one out and put it on a microscope slide, but had less success with using the camera down the microscope as the phone kept trying to change lens…

So they seem more like clear centipedes, they have a dozen or so “legs” or propulsion devices on each side - little pointy protrusions that seem to be used to move about. One of the videos you can see it shuffling back and forth using these things. It doesn’t capture well in the video, but slightly segmented body.
Baby bristle worms?

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby bristle worms?

That was one of my first thoughts, but the google images of those seem to look a bit different, although there’s a lot of variety. I’m definitely keeping an eye on them for growth though and any changes.

At present after googling a lot of worm related pictures, and also coming across a video of a fairly terrifying giant Bobbit worm pulled out of an aquarium I think that these critters are Dorvilleidae worms

But would welcome any opinions.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was one of my first thoughts, but the google images of those seem to look a bit different, although there’s a lot of variety. I’m definitely keeping an eye on them for growth though and any changes.

At present after googling a lot of worm related pictures, and also coming across a video of a fairly terrifying giant Bobbit worm pulled out of an aquarium I think that these critters are Dorvilleidae worms

But would welcome any opinions.
Add a 6 line wrasse. No more bugs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back