Hw to stop return skimmer from micro bubbles

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can’t stop my petite in skimmer from producing micro bubbles that then feed into my return, I’ve tried adjusting the setting on it but that dosent work.Any suggestions? By the way this isn’t a new skimmer I’ve had it for over a year and only after I put it in my new setups dose it do this.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the setup? There are a few things that can help but it would help us to know what sump, skimmer, and return pump you have as well as where they are located in relation to each other.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pictures would help but I have found these to help with microbubbles in sump, just cut to fit the area and push it in. I use green as it works well and I havent had any clogging issues with it but you could go finer material depending on gph flowing through the sump. I run around 400-600gph.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pictures would help but I have found these to help with microbubbles in sump, just cut to fit the area and push it in. I use green as it works well and I havent had any clogging issues with it but you could go finer material depending on gph flowing through the sump. I run around 400-600gph.

I have one of these in my sump, I bought the sump along with the skimmer as kind of a all in one and it worked perfectly. On when I raised the water level did this happen. I assume it has something to do with water level but I could be mistaken

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these in my sump, I bought the sump along with the skimmer as kind of a all in one and it worked perfectly. On when I raised the water level did this happen. I assume it has something to do with water level but I could be mistaken
They make simple adjustable pads to raise skimmers if needed. Just plastic plates basically. A lot of us use them.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make simple adjustable pads to raise skimmers if needed. Just plastic plates basically. A lot of us use them.
So it’s a common problem for it to spit out micro bubbles if it’s at the incorrect water level?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt see this was for a new setup, usually excess microbubbles die down once the skimmer breaks in again. If you cleaned out the skimmer thoroughly then it will need some time to settle in. Also in a new tank without a lot of nutrients the bubbles will shoot out of the skimmer easier instead of building up in the neck.
Please post a picture of the setup it will help a ton

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I can’t stop my petite in skimmer from producing micro bubbles that then feed into my return, I’ve tried adjusting the setting on it but that dosent work.Any suggestions? By the way this isn’t a new skimmer I’ve had it for over a year and only after I put it in my new setups dose it do this.
Move the skimmer away from the return pump. Move it to the other end of your sump?
Make a barrier/bubble trap

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I zipp tied a peice of nylon panty hose over the intake of my return pump until my skimmer breaks in and stops producing micro bubbles. My pump has a rotating dial flow restrictor so I have it full open and it barely cut my flow. I'm getting 0 bubbles in the tank now.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back