Hydnophora show off!

  • Thread starter Thread starter joshbbert
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

joshbbert

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2014
Messages
884
Reaction score
108
Location
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new coral for me and i love it!!! mines is just green though anyone out there have one with color lets see em!
 
Bad photo sorry.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436166977.128751.jpg
 
I thought they were pretty much all green? Anyways, keep them well away from other coral....they are very aggressive (I speak from experience lol).
 
Obviously not a popular coral perhaps because they have anger issues?
 
well there the green encrusting one and the green branching one, both mean and both green hydnophora was big a few yrs or more back then everyone relised how mean they are and well wipe out nice other corals
 
I think its worth noting that the only documented and photographed cases of them releasing mesentrial filaments occurred when placed too close to another coral I've yet to see any proof of them releasing it randomly into the column to melt your whole tank.
 
I haven't had any issue with the crusting or branching types stinging others as well
 


That is my Plating Hydnophora demolishing a soft coral. That coral also killed a Monitpora and a few other sps. Under the right current and the right chemical cues Hydnophora can send out extremely long mesenterial filaments.
Great coral, I especially like the Horn/branch variety, but I do not have enough real estate to give a Hydnophora enough growing space.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new