Hydra 32 light settings - Mexican Caulerpa died

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an idea for a light setting for the Hydra 32 for Mexican Caulerpa and sponges? So I bought TBS base rock, came loaded with sponges, tunicates and had some Mexican Caulerpa on it. I had it in the tank for 3 weeks before placing a single Hydra 32 over it. Turned it on to play with the adjustments. it came on at 10am off at 4pm with the 1 hour ramp. settings I believe at the time were all 28%. Light is 13" from surface, 22" to where Mexican Caulerpa is 10" and away from light center. (light to sand, 29"). I had planned on getting another hydra 32 to cover 24x36 and just not have the 6" edges front and back in full light. Not sure what settings to set this to. After I reduced all the settings to 20% and made it 11-4, I figured I'd shut it off until I can get some insight so I don't bake the sponges. this was only on for 2 days. I was checking out the AI website for what some pre-done programs are at and everything is turned up higher. Nothing is in the tank right now except for a few snails and crabs.

didn't think this was anywhere enough light to do that. I would like to add eventually frogspawn and torches.

Attached is before and after maybe 9 hours total of light turned on. turned on 1/2 the day Wednesday and let it come on Thursday 10-4.

Anyone have thoughts as to what light settings and time frames? Just wanted to slowly add light to this to not explode with algae.

Thanks

1704473750315.png

1704473777280.png

1704473798508.png

El Toro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a lot more fullspec light for green macro algaes like caulerpa. They should tolerate a pretty high PAR. There are some red Algaes that also like strong light Gracilaria but most will do okay at 100+ PAR

Flow will hurt some algaes and may be bad for Caulerpa with their feather leaf structures. Higher flow will result in demse, compact algaes whereas low flow will cause more spread and stretching algaes.

Last edited:

El Toro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are a tough call. They grow abundantly in waters less than 30 feet so they shoild be fine in higher PARs appx 150+
I have 2 colony rocks I purchased which had 3 types of sponge. They seem fine, grow well in 100-150 PAR at 20-24 inches.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are a tough call. They grow abundantly in waters less than 30 feet so they shoild be fine in higher PARs appx 150+
I have 2 colony rocks I purchased which had 3 types of sponge. They seem fine, grow well in 100-150 PAR at 20-24 inches.
basically there has been no light at all except ambient light. the second I turned the light on, the caulerpa fell apart. So you think just turn the light on? Any thoughts on what light spectrum? I saw what BRS recommends for reef but don't think they had times, just %level and there are several downloads on AI site.

El Toro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dont see algaes die off that quick due to lighting. Sponges and some algaes are sensitive to air contact but Caulerpa is a hardy weed. Id look at your salinity, dkH and Nitrates. Falling apart after the light came on may just be a red herring when the problem may have been plant stress.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back