Hydrogen Peroxide concern?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GuppyHJD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2020
Messages
1,368
Reaction score
786
Location
North Port, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to kill off anthelia, and it has been suggested that hydrogen peroxide may help. I have dipped corals in a saltwater/hydrogen peroxide dip to kill off algae. For the anthelia, I will be using a syringe to target the anthelia coral in the display tank. My concern is that too much hydrogen peroxide will impact the tank chemistry. What should I pay attention to? I am hoping the tank volume of 130g will dilute the peroxide pretty quickly.

Anthelia.jpg
Anthelia2.jpg
 
Shouldn’t be any issue. Peroxide is pretty safe. I’ve dosed pretty high dosages to treat Dino/cyano before. Only issues were an urchin lost its spines. But he’s still kicking months later. Shrimp seem to not like it also. But target dosing I see no issues.
 
I think it will be hard to monitor the chemistry changes. Obviously, if you see things nearby close up, I'd stop, but the main change will be alteration of the nature of the trace elements present. Some will be oxidized and some will be reduced in oxidation state. That may impact bioavailability and solubility, but I'd expect things to be back to normal in a week or less.
 
I think it will be hard to monitor the chemistry changes. Obviously, if you see things nearby close up, I'd stop, but the main change will be alteration of the nature of the trace elements present. Some will be oxidized and some will be reduced in oxidation state. That may impact bioavailability and solubility, but I'd expect things to be back to normal in a week or less.
Hi Randy. I am considering something similar for some tough hair algae. However it is high up on the rock and I think I can drain enough water to expose it without exposing too much of anything else. If I drop the water and hit the algae with higher conc peroxide and give it a while before I return the water, would it generally all oxidise if given sufficient time? I could potentially rinse it first and capture some of the rinsate, but not 100% sure. Probably my main concern is the clam that i have in the tank, it is probably the most susceptible to water quality. Other inhabitants include peppermint shrimp, mandarins, clowns, purple tang, urchins, snails, Christmas tree worms, and a few corals. Worth giving it a go, or best not to risk it with the clam etc?
 
Hi Randy. I am considering something similar for some tough hair algae. However it is high up on the rock and I think I can drain enough water to expose it without exposing too much of anything else. If I drop the water and hit the algae with higher conc peroxide and give it a while before I return the water, would it generally all oxidise if given sufficient time? I could potentially rinse it first and capture some of the rinsate, but not 100% sure. Probably my main concern is the clam that i have in the tank, it is probably the most susceptible to water quality. Other inhabitants include peppermint shrimp, mandarins, clowns, purple tang, urchins, snails, Christmas tree worms, and a few corals. Worth giving it a go, or best not to risk it with the clam etc?

That method is probably worth a try. I do not know if it is needed, but spritzing a little ferrous iron supplement onto it when done will help spur any remaining breakdown. Ferrous gluconate is a good choice.
 
That method is probably worth a try. I do not know if it is needed, but spritzing a little ferrous iron supplement onto it when done will help spur any remaining breakdown. Ferrous gluconate is a good choice.
Cool, thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 36 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new