Hydrogen peroxide dip for zoas

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 little zoa frag and a medium colony that have hair algae growing through the polyps and irritating them to where they don't open all the way. Found something from humblefish saying that a dip from 210-350ml in 1/4GAL of tank water followed by a quick rinse in tank water (not in the tank) is safe to do.

If this is safe, should I ensure the zoas have closed all the way before dipping?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 little zoa frag and a medium colony that have hair algae growing through the polyps and irritating them to where they don't open all the way. Found something from humblefish saying that a dip from 210-350ml in 1/4GAL of tank water followed by a quick rinse in tank water (not in the tank) is safe to do.

If this is safe, should I ensure the zoas have closed all the way before dipping?
I do that all the time with almost any coral showing signs of nuisance algae.
It's never harmed anything if you follow the Humblefish dosage.

I normally just turn the lights off for 10 mins before removing from the tank to close them up.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do that all the time with almost any coral showing signs of nuisance algae.
It's never harmed anything if you follow the Humblefish dosage.

I normally just turn the lights off for 10 mins before removing from the tank to close them up.
Oh great, learned something new! It looks like I'll have to get some new peroxide here soon since I don't have a lot left. Thank you!

Hurlaroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I peroxide dip all my corals before adding to the tank. At this point I’d rather lose a frag than introduce a new nuisance algae to the tank. Process is as follows with good results:

1. 10 minute soak/turkey Baster blast in CoralRX dip to knock off bugs

2. Rinse well in fresh salt water

3. 30-60 seconds in undiluted peroxide

4. Rinse really well in fresh salt water (don’t resuse water from step 2)

You really only need to submerge the plug and non-zooanthelle covered structures (think base of a hammer) in the peroxide, though I’ve not lost anything from a full submersion as of yet. Encrusting type corals and smooth acros seem the most sensitive, so I only put those in for 20-30 seconds. It’s not uncommon for the corals to be ticked or play dead for a few days after treatment, but they cone around. Hell, I accidentally left some favia and cyphestrea in for 2 minutes the other day, was positive I cooked them, but we’re on day 3 and they have polyp extension and color is coming back. If you’re worried, a little spot feeding of aminos def helps.

Again, would rather lose a bit of tissue or slow the coral down a few months than spend the next 5 years battling bryopsis or bubble algae.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I peroxide dip all my corals before adding to the tank. At this point I’d rather lose a frag than introduce a new nuisance algae to the tank. Process is as follows with good results:

1. 10 minute soak/turkey Baster blast in CoralRX dip to knock off bugs

2. Rinse well in fresh salt water

3. 30-60 seconds in undiluted peroxide

4. Rinse really well in fresh salt water (don’t resuse water from step 2)

You really only need to submerge the plug and non-zooanthelle covered structures (think base of a hammer) in the peroxide, though I’ve not lost anything from a full submersion as of yet. Encrusting type corals and smooth acros seem the most sensitive, so I only put those in for 20-30 seconds. It’s not uncommon for the corals to be ticked or play dead for a few days after treatment, but they cone around. Hell, I accidentally left some favia and cyphestrea in for 2 minutes the other day, was positive I cooked them, but we’re on day 3 and they have polyp extension and color is coming back. If you’re worried, a little spot feeding of aminos def helps.

Again, would rather lose a bit of tissue or slow the coral down a few months than spend the next 5 years battling bryopsis or bubble algae.
I don't have any CoralRx. I do have some food grade 3% hydrogen peroxide on the way but I also do have some regular peroxide as well. I appreciate the steps!

Hurlaroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any CoralRx. I do have some food grade 3% hydrogen peroxide on the way but I also do have some regular peroxide as well. I appreciate the steps!
Full disclosure I’m in my first year of the hobby, but having cleaned 30+ frags this way I’ve had no issues with regular peroxide from Walgreens. I’m sure the food grade can’t hurt though!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the peroxide dip on my zoas and it seemed to get them clean but provide a good surface for new algae to grow. I was having to dip them every week and did not seem like I was getting anywhere. Which is what this hobby seems to be for me after two years.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put the 3% peroxide sold in the brown bottle directly on the frag. It's not harmful to zoas at that concentration. You don't even have to rinse it - in fact, rinsing it off is probably just making it less effective. Pull the frag out, dribble some on, let it sit for a minute, put it back. Or get a syringe and spot treat it right in the tank.

Hurlaroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the peroxide dip on my zoas and it seemed to get them clean but provide a good surface for new algae to grow. I was having to dip them every week and did not seem like I was getting anywhere. Which is what this hobby seems to be for me after two years.
Dip every week?!?

The goal of dipping is to not introduce new or more algae, like if you have never had bubble algae, cleaning your plugs can prevent it from ever getting into your tank. Or if your tank has been clean and stable this prevents from adding a spike in algae microbes.

If you have an active algae bloom in your tank that’s a whole different matter, and you control that through feeding/lighting/competing organisms. Still dip your corals, but just once, and understand the purpose of the tool or process you are using. I.e. don’t grab a hammer when you need a spatula.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran to the grocery store and they actually had 3% food grade peroxide because fiance wanted french toast, lol. Grabbed some and just finished the dip. Got about 85% of the algae off and it appears to have done a marvelous job. I assume the zoas are gonna be ticked off at me for a few days.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide in the tank will make all your zoas immediately close but they will open back up quickly. GHA will turn white and die over a couple days after direct exposure.

ProvidenceTidalReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3% from store shelf is food grade. As it states on the bottle. "Can used for mouth rinse". Hope this helps you. I use the 1:10 methyod and have never had an issuie with store bought one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back