Hydrogen peroxide dip on growing zoas?

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have some zoa colonies that are growing but beginning to get a lot of hair algae and it looks to be irritated. I dipped some zoas that were covered a couple weeks ago and it worked pretty good.. I’d like to dip the rest but I don’t want to slow down growth. Will dipping slow down the growth?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably will, however not dramatically! :) you dip your corals when you bring them home from your LFS as well..

I am not so sure that I would do it though, I would rather address the problem instead, otherwise it will just come back again. Nothing happens fast in reefing so getting out of this position will take just as long as it took to get into it! :)

OP
OP
S

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably will, however not dramatically! :) you dip your corals when you bring them home from your LFS as well..

I am not so sure that I would do it though, I would rather address the problem instead, otherwise it will just come back again. Nothing happens fast in reefing so getting out of this position will take just as long as it took to get into it! :)
yeah I know what you mean! Honestly my nutrients are pretty low (10-15 nitrate and 0.05-0.08 phosphates) I do need to dose or else I bottom out so the hair algae seems to be the trade off. It's really not too bad but the CUC seem to ignore the frags.

Hurlaroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dipped all my zoa frags in peroxide before I put them in the tank. I'll fill a glass full of straight peroxide (no dillution) and put the zoas in for 1-2 minutes. They will release a slime coat and look unhappy for a day or two but I've had no mortalties across maybe the dozen times I've done it.

TBH if Zoas are already growing well in your tank I dont think it will slow them down much. when it comes to hair algae and cyano, I find that using a soft toothbrush or paintbrush to clean em off with is suffecient, and just treat the underlying algae problem. They will clear up on their own from there.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used 2/1 water to 3% hydrogen peroxide for 10 minutes. No ill effects, just unhappy for a couple of days. I don’t think in the long term it really has any impact on growth.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoanthids are the most peroxide resistant coral in my opinion

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back