Hydrogen peroxide for green hair algae?

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought 10 pounds of live rock with green hair algae (I got it for an extremely good deal at $.50 a pound). The rock was out of water for a day But was still moist when I bought it. The rock has been sitting in a bucket with water and a powerhead until I can figure out what to do with this algae before I put it in my tank. Someone suggested using hydrogen Peroxide but I don’t understand this concept or how to do it properly. Do I just pour it in the bucket and rinse the rock and it good to go? Will it kill the live rock? Is it even safe for the tank? When can I use the rock in my tank? If it actually works I’m willing to try but it just doesn’t make sense to me. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real easy fix blue leg hermit crabs they eat hair algae like crazy. Natural treatment always better.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real easy fix blue leg hermit crabs they eat hair algae like crazy. Natural treatment always better.
Should I just throw them in the bucket with it? Or do you think the rock is safe to put in my tank Andrew just have them go at it that way.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's like chemotherapy. It will kill life. Destroys cells walls. Algae will go first.

If it's already covered with GHA, if it were my tank, I'd nuke the rock with the peroxide and restart curing from scratch as opposed to risking a long GHA battle with my DT.

I recently dosed H2O2 to assist in a long rock scrubbing battle with GHA and dinos. My Acros got mad, but it really made a big dent without killing everything else. It was a tight rope line walking experience, but I didn't losing anything aside from some serious bleaching in the acros, but I expect them to rebound in the months to come.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's like chemotherapy. It will kill life. Destroys cells walls. Algae will go first.

If it's already covered with GHA, if it were my tank, I'd nuke the rock with the peroxide and restart curing from scratch as opposed to risking a long GHA battle with my DT.

I recently dosed H2O2 to assist in a long rock scrubbing battle with GHA and dinos. My Acros got mad, but it really made a big dent without killing everything else. It was a tight rope line walking experience, but I didn't losing anything aside from some serious bleaching in the acros, but I expect them to rebound in the months to come.
I already have 30 pounds of live rock in my tank and just wanted to add another 10. Do you think I could just nuke the rock rinse it and put it in right away? What was your method of using the peroxide did you just pour it on the rock or dilute it and dip it? How much did you dose per gallon?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought 10 pounds of live rock with green hair algae (I got it for an extremely good deal at $.50 a pound). The rock was out of water for a day But was still moist when I bought it. The rock has been sitting in a bucket with water and a powerhead until I can figure out what to do with this algae before I put it in my tank. Someone suggested using hydrogen Peroxide but I don’t understand this concept or how to do it properly. Do I just pour it in the bucket and rinse the rock and it good to go? Will it kill the live rock? Is it even safe for the tank? When can I use the rock in my tank? If it actually works I’m willing to try but it just doesn’t make sense to me. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Some people scrub the rock with peroxide and a toothbrush, rinse it and put it in a clean bucket without light and let it cycle in the bucket before it goes in your tank. You don't want to add the nutrients on the rock into your tank. Those rocks might also be leaching phosphate, so I would let them soak in the bucket and measure the phosphate level in the bucket to find out if that is true before adding that rock to the main tank.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to other articles here the safe dosage is 1 ML H2O2 per 10 gallons of water. I seem to think most people dose that daily for a week or so.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have 30 pounds of live rock in my tank and just wanted to add another 10. Do you think I could just nuke the rock rinse it and put it in right away? What was your method of using the peroxide did you just pour it on the rock or dilute it and dip it? How much did you dose per gallon?

these:

Some people scrub the rock with peroxide and a toothbrush, rinse it and put it in a clean bucket without light and let it cycle in the bucket before it goes in your tank. You don't want to add the nutrients on the rock into your tank. Those rocks might also be leaching phosphate, so I would let them soak in the bucket and measure the phosphate level in the bucket to find out if that is true before adding that rock to the main tank.

10% solution of hydrogen peroxide for 10 minutes soak. Brush off dead stuff, rinse off and put back in tank.

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Reef Flux. Cleared my tank of GHA. I got diatoms that eventually subsided but whether that was because of the reef flux is debatable. The process was a long one taking about 2-3 weeks to see it gone. And ~1 week or 2 to actually see it die off. I OD'd my tank and saw no negative results in my coral. I did have a protein skimmer on during the process so it also might have skimmed some out. I recommend Reef Flux over Hydrogen peroxide dosing.

I spot treated corals infested with GHA with hydrogen peroxide. taking the coral out and using a syringe to put hydrogen peroxide on the GHA. It also worked. And faster but it didn't get to the root of the problem that was the entire tank being taken over by GHA.

Now thankfully my tank is GHA/Bryposis free.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back