Hydrored's 300 Glass Cages Build

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of the sand. My current tank is BB and was planning to do so on the upgrade, but now I'm thinking I want to add sand for the looks of it.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of the sand. My current tank is BB and was planning to do so on the upgrade, but now I'm thinking I want to add sand for the looks of it.

Thanks, it's growing on me also. I still prefer BB for an SPS tank, especially now finding sand in my tables.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't quite tell from the pic but I think you have room for one more light ;)

Maybe some light bars lol.

Edit: I went with as many lights as possible running the lowest percentage that way I never hear a fan. Just cost me a bunch to do it, terrible way financially to get silence.

Last edited:

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. If it isn't too much work to get it out then it's probably not a big deal. I run 80-100x turnover at times though, so that could become an issue.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Hydrored ,

What were the reasons to take the GNC's down? I Also am running them , and was curious to know what's the reason you wanted to change,

Many thanks!

Hi @jcosta98

2 reasons for me-

1. Light spill was far too much for me at the mounting height I wanted to run them at and was blinding.

2. Wasn’t a big fan of the spectrum at the PAR I was looking for, lights were too blue for me.

I still have the lights and haven’t decided if I want to sell them or keep them around for my next tank to use considering it will require additional lights to cover and will be a built in.

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @jcosta98

2 reasons for me-

1. Light spill was far too much for me at the mounting height I wanted to run them at and was blinding.

2. Wasn’t a big fan of the spectrum at the PAR I was looking for, lights were too blue for me.

I still have the lights and haven’t decided if I want to sell them or keep them around for my next tank to use considering it will require additional lights to cover and will be a built in.

Interesting , I find them to be more on the white side than the average light :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Can you tell me what spectrum you were running? I'm looking to change things a bit . At the beginning I ran the whites at 90% + and bleached most of my SPS even those on the bottom :D

Those orpheks look really good !

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting , I find them to be more on the white side than the average light :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Can you tell me what spectrum you were running? I'm looking to change things a bit . At the beginning I ran the whites at 90% + and bleached most of my SPS even those on the bottom :D

Those orpheks look really good !

Well that’s exactly the issue, if I ran the spectrum I liked the coral did not respond well at all. I only ran them for about a month and switched, ended up with 100B 90R and 40W - adjust the percentages equally from there to get the PAR you are targeting. This ratio is too blue for me but grows and colors coral.

I like the GNC’s but not a good fit for me as my primary light source, my buddy is still running them and is growing coral great with the same ratio as above adjusted for target PAR.

Like others, I find I can run higher PAR with Orphek than I could with Stratons or GNC’s running straight Helius

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s exactly the issue, if I ran the spectrum I liked the coral did not respond well at all. I only ran them for about a month and switched, ended up with 100B 90R and 40W - adjust the percentages equally from there to get the PAR you are targeting. This ratio is too blue for me but grows and colors coral.

I like the GNC’s but not a good fit for me as my primary light source, my buddy is still running them and is growing coral great with the same ratio as above adjusted for target PAR.

Like others, I find I can run higher PAR with Orphek than I could with Stratons or GNC’s running straight Helius

I see what you mean , I'm currently 100B 90R 45W so something about the same. I really have no Idea of my par though ( Need to find some good/cheap device) , but this is what I picked up from other tanks.

Glad the orpheks are working for you now, they sure look built like a tank!

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m back after being in Maui for a couple weeks. Came back to a bit of cyano on the sand but everything looks great, lost one frag that was knocked loose in the sand.

Now back to work….

8BB9A2EB-D9F8-44BB-8D9A-82ACE917371C.jpeg

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking amazing. I can’t believe the par you are running.

Thank you! Tank has been on cruise control, really just leaving it alone. Nutrients are higher than I would like but too afraid to do anything about it as they are steady and I’m happy with growth and colors.

The Orpheks really do allow you to put higher PAR down than other LED’s, but I don’t actually know or understand why….

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today is change all of my filters on my RODI setup, I change all 12 canisters every 4 months along with both membranes and monsters every 6 months. Not exactly my favorite thing to do.

Here is a couple day light photos I just took peak lighting-

2AF260B9-E724-40CB-B730-B563E0193D5E.jpeg
09704902-FB00-4199-B57D-298867B97C67.jpeg

Since putting in sand my nitrates continue to creep up but the cyano from when I came home from the trip is gone.

Tank just hit its 6 month birthday

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m back after being in Maui for a couple weeks. Came back to a bit of cyano on the sand but everything looks great, lost one frag that was knocked loose in the sand.

Now back to work….

8BB9A2EB-D9F8-44BB-8D9A-82ACE917371C.jpeg
We've been a lot of places, but Maui remains in the top three, maybe two.

Tank is six months in and can be left alone for 2 weeks? That is pretty impressive. Thanks for the reminder it is time to change out my DI media. Ugh.

Do you run the cation, anion, then mixed bed setup? Feels like I could just change out my cation bed (now orange versus purple) and let the other run a bit. TDS still 0/0 on low pH well water. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been a lot of places, but Maui remains in the top three, maybe two.

Tank is six months in and can be left alone for 2 weeks? That is pretty impressive. Thanks for the reminder it is time to change out my DI media. Ugh.

Do you run the cation, anion, then mixed bed setup? Feels like I could just change out my cation bed (now orange versus purple) and let the other run a bit. TDS still 0/0 on low pH well water. Any thoughts?

I have paranoia as it relates to my RODI water, some of the worse water in Texas. I run 2 cation, 2 anion, 2 mixed and replace them all at once. 375 TDS with chloramines :-/

if I wasn’t paranoid I would just replace my cation and call it a day. Only other reefer I know that changes filtration on the same schedule as me is Shane Becker. I’m a bad example to follow unless you enjoy burning 100 dollar bills

C72C5DA3-D1F6-4606-8914-9E534A2DFF1B.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have paranoia as it relates to my RODI water, some of the worse water in Texas. I run 2 cation, 2 anion, 2 mixed and replace them all at once. 375 TDS with chloramines :-/

if I wasn’t paranoid I would just replace my cation and call it a day. Only other reefer I know that changes filtration on the same schedule as me is Shane Becker. I’m a bad example to follow unless you enjoy burning 100 dollar bills

That friend is impressive. Note to self: don't reef in Houston or Jersey City. Can you light your tap water on fire?

These days, I prefer burning Benjamins on 100 octane AVGAS. A thrill a minute and two bills an hour.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know man. It looks like you can put at least one or two more in there. :D

That is impressive! And to think I always complain when I have to change my three filters.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back