Hydros Control 2 , Control 4 and accessories question and answer thread.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on any of the hydros products to power pumps. I use the IM mighty jet for my main return and Current USA eflux for wave makers. They're all 24v. Any way to power those with Hydros?

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really, really wanted an IP rated controller for my new build!

Delaying the launch 6-8 months forced that decision in the direction of 2 Apex instead.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more i read the more I like too bad it doesn’t produce its own WiFi signal from the brain to control the power strips instead of relying on your home network
You can use two wifi routers as long as they are hardwired to each other.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more i read the more I like too bad it doesn’t produce its own WiFi signal from the brain to control the power strips instead of relying on your home network
I don't think relying on your own network is any issue. Even if your network looses internet it still works.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any concerns with having just one power supply for everything being a single point of failure?

You can connect a bus cable between devices for a collective and you can also power the other devices with this bus cable. So basically my WaveEngine power supply powers my Control 4 through the bus cable. If you plug in both power supplies one would fry.

There will be a Bus Cable that will not carry power and just data. This will allow you to use multiple power supplies and still set up a collective. For a collective you just need data.

So if one power supply is a concern there will be a alternative.

Last edited:

Nelsons_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is (never had an issue ever for an extended amount of time) but let’s say a tornado blows through my town (this actually happens in my area) and the internet is down for let’s say 2 weeks plus Will my power strips be stuck in whatever loop they are set in?

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My concern is (never had an issue ever for an extended amount of time) but let’s say a tornado blows through my town (this actually happens in my area) and the internet is down for let’s say 2 weeks plus Will my power strips be stuck in whatever loop they are set in?

Not sure I understand? If you have power your Control will function as normal and so will your home WIFI. The Control also has Bluetooth and can be accessed via phone or tablet..

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The control 4 or control 2 and power strips communicate with each other on your local wifi. It does not need the internet to keep going.

heathergiovagnoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been saving for the apex trident. Just came across the hydros but don’t see it has a dosing option, is there something in the works for it? What alternatives would there be?

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have been saving for the apex trident. Just came across the hydros but don’t see it has a dosing option, is there something in the works for it? What alternatives would there be?

I heard they were working with Kamoer and trying to bring their dosing pumps onto the Hydros.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really am looking foward to buying this controller. Sorry if this is a stupid question. If i have a heater, ato ( I think i am switching to theirs), return pump, skimmer, 1 ap700 light, and a reactor will I need two power strips? Is it basically like a apex just with less outlets? Thank you!

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really am looking foward to buying this controller. Sorry if this is a stupid question. If i have a heater, ato ( I think i am switching to theirs), return pump, skimmer, 1 ap700 light, and a reactor will I need two power strips? Is it basically like a apex just with less outlets? Thank you!

The Control 4 and Control 2 has Two drive ports which can drive pumps, relays etc. directly. Means they do not need to be on the WIFI strips, They just have to have the connector for it. So if you use their ATO or one of their pumps made to run off a drive port that is one thing that does not need a Wi-Fi strip.

Heater, return pump, skimmer, Ap700 have to go Wifi plug strip. Reactor could just go to a normal power, does it really need to be on the controller? What kind of reactor? If you want it on it looks like to me you will need two WIFI Strips..

Does the AP700 have 0-10v? If so they may eventually have a cable for 0-10v which means you could use the Control to control the lights and then power them from normal power. I am guessing that is future though.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Control 4 and Control 2 has Two drive ports which can drive pumps, relays etc. directly. Means they do not need to be on the WIFI strips, They just have to have the connector for it. So if you use their ATO or one of their pumps made to run off a drive port that is one thing that does not need a Wi-Fi strip.

Heater, return pump, skimmer, Ap700 have to go Wifi plug strip. Reactor could just go to a normal power, does it really need to be on the controller? What kind of reactor? If you want it on it looks like to me you will need two WIFI Strips..

Does the AP700 have 0-10v? If so they may eventually have a cable for 0-10v which means you could use the Control to control the lights and then power them from normal power. I am guessing that is future though.

Okay thank you so much! I really would just want to be able to turn reactor on and off from my phone. I'm not to sure if the ap700 is 0-10V.

I did have one big question what would you recommend me purchase I would like to just control devices and temperature i wouldn't mind checking PH in the future. Can this be added to the 2 later on? Thank you again for your help this is my first controller and want to make sure to choose right

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay thank you so much! I really would just want to be able to turn reactor on and off from my phone. I'm not to sure if the ap700 is 0-10V.

I did have one big question what would you recommend me purchase I would like to just control devices and temperature i wouldn't mind checking PH in the future. Can this be added to the 2 later on? Thank you again for your help this is my first controller and want to make sure to choose right

I do not know. I didn't even know the sense port module was coming out. That blows my mind the sense port module can work without a controller and that can be used as a Controller. I knew all modules would run on their own if the main controller went down. I did not know they could be used as a controller or that they can pick up the slack if the controller went down.

You could always add a Control 4 later but then why not just get a Control 4. With the collective they work and look like one unit. I run my Control 2 and 4 as a collective right now. I just go into the App and they show up as one.

I will ask and see what they say about a future add on that does PH.

If you look at Harold's Picture he is running a Control 2 and 4 on the same tank as one unit and they are connected:

1603804111564.png

We are beta testers so they do not always tell us stuff till they are ready. Sometimes we can not talk about stuff that we are testing at the moment.

Last edited:

mzaslove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have SO preordered the starter Controller 4 kit! I'm adding a single wireless socket as well, because I want to use the Controller 4 as my temperature controller working off an Inkbird (redundancy! And the Hydros has a finer control of temperature, the Inkbird being in single degrees), and if I plug the Inkbird into the Hydros, the whole Inkbird will go on and off every time the heater has to go on and off (which seems like needless wear-and-tear), so I'm doing the reverse and plugging the single wireless outlet into the Inkbird. Options!!!

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You could just buy a single outlet too instead of a full bar.

1603810453645.png

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have SO preordered the starter Controller 4 kit! I'm adding a single wireless socket as well, because I want to use the Controller 4 as my temperature controller working off an Inkbird (redundancy! And the Hydros has a finer control of temperature, the Inkbird being in single degrees), and if I plug the Inkbird into the Hydros, the whole Inkbird will go on and off every time the heater has to go on and off (which seems like needless wear-and-tear), so I'm doing the reverse and plugging the single wireless outlet into the Inkbird. Options!!!

Yea.. The Hydros can have pretty fine control but I like redundancy too. I am using a temp controller and using the Control 4 as a low point and high point so if the controller fails the Control 4 will catch it. If your heater has a thermostat too you can do this.

Basically my outlet will always be on so the controller should have power at all times but it is set 2 degrees over the controller to shut off. So the heat controller/heater is set for 78 and if it gets stuck on the Control 4 shuts off the outlet at 80 degrees.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you guys for the feedback! The smart plug is a smart idea just for the reactor! I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the controller 4 with their ato and I have a reef octopus collection cup for the skimmer but I think I'm going to use their optical sensor in the nyos instead

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where can you preorder???

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back