Hydros Control X4 can't find any wifi network during setup via Bluetooth

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set my two Hydros Control X4 up, but neither unit can find any wifi network during setup via Bluetooth (which is seemingly the only way to set it up).
It isn't that they can't find the right network, they can't find any network at all (the phone itself finds plenty aside from my network).
The phone pairs with the units via Bluetooth just fine.
What's wrong?

(and yes, the router is broadcasting the SSID and is working perfectly fine on the 2.4 GHz b/g/n frequency.)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set my two Hydros Control X4 up, but neither unit can find any wifi network during setup via Bluetooth (which is seemingly the only way to set it up).
It isn't that they can't find the right network, they can't find any network at all (the phone itself finds plenty aside from my network).
The phone pairs with the units via Bluetooth just fine.
What's wrong?

(and yes, the router is broadcasting the SSID and is working perfectly fine on the 2.4 GHz b/g/n frequency.)
The 2.4ghz channel cannot have the same name as a 5ghz channel. Are the channel names different?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried it with the Control 4 near the router?
If it needs to be on top of the router to find it then it's useless to me. It's close enough. If 10m is too far to get a connection then they should not have chosen WiFi but rather gone with cables.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always set them up in the living room which is the same room as the router. Once setup and working I moved them to where I wanted them to be. It says you have two units. I doubt that two units would have a wifi issue so my guess is it is something else causing it.

Rigel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a different device that has Bluetooth (an ipad or another phone). Also is your OS on your phone up to date. I had an issue with my Ecotech light where the app would not see the device until I updated my phone to the latest software.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a different device that has Bluetooth (an ipad or another phone). Also is your OS on your phone up to date. I had an issue with my Ecotech light where the app would not see the device until I updated my phone to the latest software.
I only have one older Android phone, an LG Stylus 3.
I generally prefer doing things on my computer.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always set them up in the living room which is the same room as the router. Once setup and working I moved them to where I wanted them to be. It says you have two units. I doubt that two units would have a wifi issue so my guess is it is something else causing it.
Just to be sure, I tried it next to the router - no change, same issue.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ThRoewer did you get anywhere getting them setup? Since you have two are you going to put them in a collective together?
No progress.
They will be controlling different systems so im not sure if a collective is advisable or makes sense.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be sure, I tried it next to the router - no change, same issue.
I have done some checking I have an old Motorola X phone and tried to get into the setup on it and got what was in the photo below. I also have a new phone since Sprint will no longer support the Motorola X after the end of the year. The new phone works but not the Motorola X. The second screenshot is from my newer android phone where it connected. I am not sure why the older android phones won't work with this but it looks like that is the issue. I normally use my iPad. I also have an older iPad that will not work but the app itself won't even install. It used to work at first but after one of the app updates it quit. hope you can find a device that will work long enough to get the wifi setup. After that you can use the web app with a computer to get into them.

F5A90E31-9E2E-4C0F-8FB5-59E7AB98EA10.jpeg

DADE5B25-80AC-46D0-B120-E064B2F2C297.png

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No progress.
They will be controlling different systems so im not sure if a collective is advisable or makes sense.
They would have to be wired together via a command buss cable. If they are over 16ft apart you would need to use a data only cable and a power pack on each one if you don't have a powered control unit like a WaveEngine or XP8. If you have one of those you cannot use the power pack on that end of a data only cable. You would also need at least one terminator or a power pack with a built in terminator. if they are far apart you would want a terminator on both ends.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some checking I have an old Motorola X phone and tried to get into the setup on it and got what was in the photo below. I also have a new phone since Sprint will no longer support the Motorola X after the end of the year. The new phone works but not the Motorola X. The second screenshot is from my newer android phone where it connected. I am not sure why the older android phones won't work with this but it looks like that is the issue. I normally use my iPad. I also have an older iPad that will not work but the app itself won't even install. It used to work at first but after one of the app updates it quit. hope you can find a device that will work long enough to get the wifi setup. After that you can use the web app with a computer to get into them.

F5A90E31-9E2E-4C0F-8FB5-59E7AB98EA10.jpeg

DADE5B25-80AC-46D0-B120-E064B2F2C297.png
I actually have the rotating clownfish in both fields.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have the rotating clownfish in both fields.
I did to begin with but the top field finally stopped. It could be because that Controller already is setup and that field is usually the wifi where it is currently connected. You would not be connected yet. The second is the same control unit after it was selected from the list on the newer phone.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did to begin with but the top field finally stopped. It could be because that Controller already is setup and that field is usually the wifi where it is currently connected. You would not be connected yet. The second is the same control unit after it was selected from the list on the newer phone.
Both controllers are new from the factory.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has a current wifi setting since it is already setup. So that may be why I got a little different reaction on the phone in that spot since mine had current wifi settings already. I actually have 8 control units in a collective currently in two locations. The tank is in a room 35ft from the garage where the RODI and storage tanks are at. The plus for having them in a collective is you won't have to switch between them in the app. You can make separate pages in the app for the different tanks. I have a second tank but it is not setup yet but will be part of the collective. Below are some screen shots of a couple of the pages from my collective. The first one is a page with things at the tank. The last two are of the page with things that are in the garage. As you can see there are other pages with some specific things on them. Hopefully you can find a device to use long enough to get your wifi setup on both control units. Once that is done you should be set.

0B1D4D22-5363-4A52-84DD-C0025255FFEB.png

A40D13F3-30FF-40C4-9D2D-BE713B8B19A3.png

178679DB-5110-4266-8E2E-41D8BFF14A35.png

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back