OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally decided on the primary means of nutrient export for this build...macroalgae reactor. I was debating on a DIY model like the one recommended by marine depot or the cleartides algae reactor. My only reservation with the DIY model was I preferred the leds to be on the inside of the reactor while my issues with the cleartides model was it would take about 4 weeks to deliver and if there were any issues I would have to wait for parts to be shipped from the UK. In any case I was literally about to hit the buy it now on the cleartides and I got a message for a used Pax bellum ARID Macroalgae reactor...so naturally I went with that. Its a very cool looking reactor now I just have to order a pump and some tubing.

32159723463_9a9567ebb8.jpg
32159723763_3489e957a3.jpg

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to see that there is a skin for that stand on Amazon? It's a bit expensive at $75 and I am not sure which sides are included but it does offer an interesting solution to make the stand slick. I am thinking about wrapping it myself and using thin magnetic strips to hold the panels on. This way you can run your ATO or controller modules under the stand and keep things clean but pull them all off easily for maintenance. I am planning on buying a ReefCrest 35 in the next couple months and already started sourcing rock, lights, skimmer and controller for it. Figured for me it's easier to have all the gear then the tank as I left my last 60cube sit dry for months and then sold it and got out of the hobby. Can't wait to see what you do with yours!

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to see that there is a skin for that stand on Amazon? It's a bit expensive at $75 and I am not sure which sides are included but it does offer an interesting solution to make the stand slick. I am thinking about wrapping it myself and using thin magnetic strips to hold the panels on. This way you can run your ATO or controller modules under the stand and keep things clean but pull them all off easily for maintenance. I am planning on buying a ReefCrest 35 in the next couple months and already started sourcing rock, lights, skimmer and controller for it. Figured for me it's easier to have all the gear then the tank as I left my last 60cube sit dry for months and then sold it and got out of the hobby. Can't wait to see what you do with yours!

Thanks alot Ldogg....You know I almost bought it but the reviews for on amazon says they dont fit the stand properly. (A couple of pics posted from a reviewer validate these claims) Whats your plans for the RC-35 (livestock) and what equipment are you considering?

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I saw the one guy's pics with the sides not long enough. Makes you wonder if it was like that or something was shipped wrong. either way I am probably going to build my own and use magnets like they did. I think it will make it look clean, and let me run a few things under the stand. I already picked up 40 pounds of CaribSea Life rock, a Tunze 9004 which may need to be modded since the tank has thicker acrylic then they say it supports, the new Apex, and a Kessil A160WE and controller, which I am going to try first to see if it's enough light. I am thinking mostly LPS, some higher end Zoas, a rock nem or 2, and then a few SPS, probably Montipora, up on the higher section so it may be ok, but if not I will swap it for a 360WE. I had thought about an AP700, but that may be overkill. depending on the results from the 160 though i may look at it as an option. I am thinking a nice pair of Frostbite or other ORA Clowns to start. I want to run a Tunze ATO, and the Apex feeder and DOS as well which is why I want to wrap the stand. I am debating building a Cheato Reactor too or just buying the one you have above. What does your fish stocking list look like? I am looking to buy the tank in Red Acrylic to match my office pc I built and mainly because i like the contrast in the pics I saw on their site. I am planning on picking it up late march, and then a few other items like RODI, a couple smaller brutes and the ATO around the same time. I have been out of the hobby for about 4-5 years but excited to see the new stuff and get back in.

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I saw the one guy's pics with the sides not long enough. Makes you wonder if it was like that or something was shipped wrong. either way I am probably going to build my own and use magnets like they did. I think it will make it look clean, and let me run a few things under the stand. I already picked up 40 pounds of CaribSea Life rock, a Tunze 9004 which may need to be modded since the tank has thicker acrylic then they say it supports, the new Apex, and a Kessil A160WE and controller, which I am going to try first to see if it's enough light. I am thinking mostly LPS, some higher end Zoas, a rock nem or 2, and then a few SPS, probably Montipora, up on the higher section so it may be ok, but if not I will swap it for a 360WE. I had thought about an AP700, but that may be overkill. depending on the results from the 160 though i may look at it as an option. I am thinking a nice pair of Frostbite or other ORA Clowns to start. I want to run a Tunze ATO, and the Apex feeder and DOS as well which is why I want to wrap the stand. I am debating building a Cheato Reactor too or just buying the one you have above. What does your fish stocking list look like? I am looking to buy the tank in Red Acrylic to match my office pc I built and mainly because i like the contrast in the pics I saw on their site. I am planning on picking it up late march, and then a few other items like RODI, a couple smaller brutes and the ATO around the same time. I have been out of the hobby for about 4-5 years but excited to see the new stuff and get back in.

Id like to see what you come with as it should look really slick. I haven't confirmed the livestock list yet but I do know ill be starting with a sunburst anthias (my LFS is holding him for me) I also would like to add an Apex AFS at some point. I look forward to seeing what you come up with be sure to post a link to your build thread.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I had a Sunburst in my 120 years ago, they are really neat fish. I am getting ready to start a build thread soon. My rock and other stuff showed up today and I ended up busting open the box and laying out a basic aquascape in another box... :) 60 pounds seems like it might be a perfect number with 9 pieces in my box. 1 of the pieces is pretty large while the rest are typical softball sizes.

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I had a Sunburst in my 120 years ago, they are really neat fish. I am getting ready to start a build thread soon. My rock and other stuff showed up today and I ended up busting open the box and laying out a basic aquascape in another box... :) 60 pounds seems like it might be a perfect number with 9 pieces in my box. 1 of the pieces is pretty large while the rest are typical softball sizes.

Yea i havent had one in quite some time. I actually had to get rid of the one I had because Midas blennies dont seem to care for anthias and other planktivores. In any case im going for mostly peaceful inhabitants.I know the feeling as I hand picked each rock for my scape while at my LFS. (one of the many reasons I love my LFS so much)the owner let me crack open like 5-6 boxes and make a few scapes on site until I was satisfied with the pieces. It definitely beats getting a box of rocks and just having to work with what you get. I'm looking forward to seeing your scape.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't measure the box height I just figured I go for it. In the end though I think I got some decent pieces to work with. The LifeRock seems like a pretty nice product, can't wait to see it in the tank.

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't measure the box height I just figured I go for it. In the end though I think I got some decent pieces to work with. The LifeRock seems like a pretty nice product, can't wait to see it in the tank.

Looks good look forward to seeing it in the tank.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing !! man this scape is out of this world, waiting to see it full stocked. Consider adding some plating Montiporas at the drop off edge

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing !! man this scape is out of this world, waiting to see it full stocked. Consider adding some plating Montiporas at the drop off edge

Thanks alot fadi really appreciate it. I thought about it but I dont want the montis to completely shade out the corals I plan to add below so Ill likely go with a branching species. Really love what youve done with your 180 so far..it looks great.

Been moving a bit slow lately but I bought some upgrades...First was the skimmer and secondly the calcium reactor. I upgraded the skimmer because I thought it was a bit underpowered for the task at hand so I found a used aquamaxx HOB-1. It was pretty filthy but after an hour of deep cleaning I think I restored it to its former glory. I decided to upgrade the calcium reactor because the media chamber didnt hold enough. (Glad I was able to find a never used reactor for a fraction of the price) Additionally I picked up the IM ATO reservoir. So at this point Ill be adding some frags over the weekend

33382376452_c761c1ae3b.jpg
33498327746_1551d9d77f.jpg
32472334073_dd224204f0.jpg

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot fadi really appreciate it. I thought about it but I dont want the montis to completely shade out the corals I plan to add below so Ill likely go with a branching species. Really love what youve done with your 180 so far..it looks great.

Been moving a bit slow lately but I bought some upgrades...First was the skimmer and secondly the calcium reactor. I upgraded the skimmer because I thought it was a bit underpowered for the task at hand so I found a used aquamaxx HOB-1. It was pretty filthy but after an hour of deep cleaning I think I restored it to its former glory. I decided to upgrade the calcium reactor because the media chamber didnt hold enough. (Glad I was able to find a never used reactor for a fraction of the price) Additionally I picked up the IM ATO reservoir. So at this point Ill be adding some frags over the weekend

33382376452_c761c1ae3b.jpg
33498327746_1551d9d77f.jpg
32472334073_dd224204f0.jpg
Quick question and sorry if I missed it earlier!
Is this tank sumpless?

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your kind words Rehhype

Good call on the skimmer upgrade, IM tanks look very nice and out of this world , but the problem is the skimmer and it is sumpless.

Keep up the good work. :)

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put the reactor online Tuesday night. Nitrates are currently at 2-3 (didnt get a chance to test phosphates but ill do that later) I plan to take pics every few days to keep track of growth and nutrient levels. Reactor is currently on a 12 hour light cycle and low flow (40 gph)

Day 1

33588702865_2a156ffce8.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.0%
Back