Hyphnx's 310 Gallon Upgrade

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my 125 set up in May of 2023, after much consulting with the wife she gave me a list of things to do around the house and now those items are done.. so I present a 310 Gallon from Planet!

The guys over at Reefology RVA have some great plans for plumbing, we are going to plumb a drain into the drain line in the house so all I will have to do is turn a valve and drain the water. As for the actual plumbing, we are going to go under the house and into an attached shed that is insulated and climate controlled. I went with a Bashsea 60 for the sump which will be housed in the shed. The water storage containers are two 65 Gallon containers which will be plumbed together and then I will have an auto top off and then the saltwater will be plumbed so it will be inline with the plumbing for a quick water change.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 5.04.39 PM.png

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your sump will be in a shed? How cold or warm does it get there?

I'm on the central coast of California and I have a 320 gallon display plumbed to a 4x6 shed.
In the dead of winter at night we might see 45 degrees and the height of summer maybe 80 to 85.
It's pretty much always sunny and 70 here.
If you experience something similar you may not need the ac.

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump will be in a shed? How cold or warm does it get there?

I'm on the central coast of California and I have a 320 gallon display plumbed to a 4x6 shed.
In the dead of winter at night we might see 45 degrees and the height of summer maybe 80 to 85.
It's pretty much always sunny and 70 here.
If you experience something similar you may not need the ac.
It's 100% climate controlled with a dehumidifier, AC and Heater. I live in VA so we go from 28f overnight to 76f during the day in the winter...

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's 100% climate controlled with a dehumidifier, AC and Heater. I live in VA so we go from 28f overnight to 76f during the day in the winter...
Yeah, 28 would be too cold.
I have a dehumidifier and that's important to prevent mold. I'm a manager at a large plumbing and HVAC shop. I debated putting a 6k Mitsubishi heat pump mini split but never needed it.
I was worried about it getting cold but I've found that getting too hot was more of an issue. I ended up cutting in 2 supply registers into the door to allow for ventilation. 1 has a small fan that is programmed into my apex and will pull air from the shed if it gets too hot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back