Hypo Salinity (Forever??)

SAM2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had done Hypo Salinity earlier this year to rid of ICH and it helped getting rid of ICH with no dead fish as a result of ICH. The fish seemed to be healthy and ate/moved properly for a month and half while in Hpyo Salinity Environment (Right around 1.009). My Question is why has any one not tried keeping fish in Hypo all the time if it eliminates ICH with no room for return and also fish seem to be completely fine in it? Has anyone tried this for longer time or does anyone know of any long term side effects?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thought is that many with fish like to also keep inverts for CUC or otherwise and they tend to not handle hyposalinity.
*no idea if there are any potential issues for fish in eternal hypo

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short term is different than long term. Long term exposure would result in metabolic damage that would cause premature death. 1.020 has been proven to be a safe long term option for fowlrs.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did this years ago(1995) and at about 3-4 months you'll have problems of fish dying from internal failures. Other maladies are scale sores & bloating, swim bladders issues & loss of appetite.

What was amazing to me was once you go back to a normal level the fish recover in a day and sores heal in about 10-14 days. The recovery time was astonishing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back