OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you mix the water change water with higher salinity like 1.040 so that you raise a little faster?
In no rush really.

I did another 25g water change today and I raised my salinity to 1.014.
We’re creeping up slowly to 1.026.

the fish look really fat, happy, and active. No signs of ich.

my reservoir is full of water at 1.026sg which is about 24 gallons. I actually ran out of salt, so I am waiting for a new bucket to arrive. I’m switching my salt over to Red Sea blue bucket now due to cost and it hits the parameters I want at 1.026sg.

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your observation on pods, worms and other micro fauna in DT when it's on hypo? Did you still see them active at night.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that all pods are wiped out. Luckily I did move some rock to alternate tank that will be fallow for 76 plus days and then returned to DT so this should bring back the pod population but it will take some time. All macro Algae has died off which is actually a good thing but I'm sure there are things gone that I would like to keep. The Calupera in the fuge is still living.
I did buy some rock from Gulf live rockk straight from the gulf that has pods and micro brittle stars. I have that rock in a separate tank and it will get added to the DT after hypo but also waiting 76 days fallow.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your observation on pods, worms and other micro fauna in DT when it's on hypo? Did you still see them active at night.
For me I did not see any pods at all.
Algae did grow, much less but it did grow on the glass/rocks.

I did not see any worms. Tank is completely deserted except for fish and rock.

angelsandtangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I did not see any pods at all.
Algae did grow, much less but it did grow on the glass/rocks.

I did not see any worms. Tank is completely deserted except for fish and rock.
Likewise here all pineapple sponges feather dusters and pods are good .. I removed most of the dusters and sponges before I started hypo .. I’ll reseed later have rock in a 29 that hasn’t had fish in in since January..I personally don’t think gonna fallow works so taking a chance not to reinfect my display .. went fallow many years ago and ich came back but could have been user error

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell Yeah Reaction GIF by Super Deluxe

LOL THIS GIF

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.021 no ich
That's great news, I will be at 30 days Hypo next Tuesday but I will be out of town until Friday. I plan to start raising Salinity on my system next weekend. So far no loses and all fish are continuing to fatten up.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news, I will be at 30 days Hypo next Tuesday but I will be out of town until Friday. I plan to start raising Salinity on my system next weekend. So far no loses and all fish are continuing to fatten up.
That is great news on your end too, awesome!!!
I’m so excited to move forward pest free. My next challenge is going to be acropora in 76 day quarantine. I think that’s going to be really tough.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nassarius snail popped out of the sand today!!! :O

I read somewhere that snails are able to survive hypo, so I guess this is fine. But the double take I made was serious. I thought I had gotten all inverts out but I missed this one. Keep in mind I stirred the sand the first time looking for snails and then again in the middle of hypo. He must have been wedged on the bottom edge of a rock?

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I read somewhere that snails are able to survive hypo, so I guess this is fine. But the double take I made was serious. I thought I had gotten all inverts out but I missed this one. Keep in mind I stirred the sand the first time looking for snails and then again in the middle of hypo. He must have been wedged on the bottom edge of a rock?
I also do have a couple of snails that I missed. With am 1100 gallon tank and 600lbs live rock I couldn’t get them all. I have seen a nasaurius and a Bertie still alive. I am now on day 31. I will be starting to raise salinity this weekend

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some true nassarius snails are brackish water species. In other cases, the snails can close their operculum and survive through what could be termed "estivation".

Jay

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAX93 just wanted to see how things are going. My Hypo is over as of tonight I have salinity back up to 1.025. It took me over a week to get it back up. Happy to report all fish are doing great. I'm sure glad I came across your thread because thats what motivated me to try Hypo and I'm really glad I did it.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAX93 just wanted to see how things are going. My Hypo is over as of tonight I have salinity back up to 1.025. It took me over a week to get it back up. Happy to report all fish are doing great. I'm sure glad I came across your thread because thats what motivated me to try Hypo and I'm really glad I did it.
Hey mehaffydr!!
Everything is going well with the fish. No signs of ich, nothing. Just having some aggression issues with my convict tang but way better than ich!

my salinity is at 1.022, since I can’t add coral in here until mid April I’ve been raising my salinity very slowly, with a weekly water change of about 40 gallons. It’s nice to see my skimmer making mud again.
I also reinstalled my algae turf scrubber and it’s growing algae already.

I’m glad that you ran into my thread, and I hope others that run into this see that there is an alternative solution. Happy to hear your fish are looking great :). This was extremely traumatizing to go through.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting hypo on my new tank. 48hrs in and should be down to 1.013.
My fish look great, not bc of hypo but just in general compared to when ich was attacking them last week. I have over 500 gallon h20 so kind of in shock just how much rodi water is needed.

Glad to see things worked out for you. If my hypo doesn't work long term I hope my good husbandry will serve me well. Uv In my display at slow rate is amazing. Can't see how ppl day UV doesn't kill ich when it's helped me maintain fish tanks for 20+ years. It doesn't kill the ich on the fish or sand but sure does keep the numbers down which is evident that my fish stopped scratching

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, as luck would have it, the electric fluttered some time during the night, which caused the skimmer sensor 'reset' and since water was already over the 'eye' when it did, it turned the skimmer back on.... when I got up the next morning, I had about 15 gallons of wet skimmate on the floor, which ruined the sub floor under the 120
Wow this is wild. Never used a skimmer sensor but was planning on getting one. First time hearing this. Your skimmer must have been a out of sump skimmer or hob?

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting hypo on my new tank. 48hrs in and should be down to 1.013.
My fish look great, not bc of hypo but just in general compared to when ich was attacking them last week. I have over 500 gallon h20 so kind of in shock just how much rodi water is needed.

Glad to see things worked out for you. If my hypo doesn't work long term I hope my good husbandry will serve me well. Uv In my display at slow rate is amazing. Can't see how ppl day UV doesn't kill ich when it's helped me maintain fish tanks for 20+ years. It doesn't kill the ich on the fish or sand but sure does keep the numbers down which is evident that my fish stopped scratching
Its crazy how much water it takes to lower the salinity especially when you get to the last little bit, I have about 1300 gallons and I ended up buying an additional 200GPD RODI

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back