OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 27 2021

wrasse still missing, really hoping he is just hiding for a few days. I’ve had fish do this before, but that little wrasse is one of my favorite.

no signs of ich or scratching.
no white dots.
everyone is eating

zero ammonia
1.009 SG

glass is growing algae too! I imagine this is due to the microbacter7.

fishguyAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have a question I have a mainly Fowler tank few gsp and some pulsating Xenia for looks. I’m getting a brand new tank if I take all the rock and inverts out and stick them in new tank and leave no fish in why cycling and dose the tank I have all of the fish in now with copper will that cure my issue before moving fish to a new tank. Thanks in advance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have a question I have a mainly Fowler tank few gsp and some pulsating Xenia for looks. I’m getting a brand new tank if I take all the rock and inverts out and stick them in new tank and leave no fish in why cycling and dose the tank I have all of the fish in now with copper will that cure my issue before moving fish to a new tank. Thanks in advance
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm not sure of you exact plan, can you describe it a bit more in depth?

The GSP and pulsing Xenia really need to be kept in a fishless system for up to 76 days in order to totally clear them of ich. If you dose a tank with copper, it is difficult to then remove all of the copper, to the point where it will be safe for corals again.

Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 28, 2021

no white dots on any fish.
wrasse still missing
Hippo tang scratched on rocks but no dots.
Sg 1.009
No ammonia

fishguyAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm not sure of you exact plan, can you describe it a bit more in depth?

The GSP and pulsing Xenia really need to be kept in a fishless system for up to 76 days in order to totally clear them of ich. If you dose a tank with copper, it is difficult to then remove all of the copper, to the point where it will be safe for corals again.

Jay
Ok cool my plan is I’m starting a new tank 500 gallons I’m gonna set it up get a lil cycle going in it and then move all my rock and corals to it and let it sit for 80 days then dose the original tank 180 gallons with copper with fish in it. I will move snails, crabs and hermit crabs to new tanks as well before copper dose

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool my plan is I’m starting a new tank 500 gallons I’m gonna set it up get a lil cycle going in it and then move all my rock and corals to it and let it sit for 80 days then dose the original tank 180 gallons with copper with fish in it. I will move snails, crabs and hermit crabs to new tanks as well before copper dose

O.K., I understand. Yes, as long as you follow good biosecurity (not moving tank tools from one tank to the other, etc.) that will work.

Not sure if I linked this for you or not, but here is my article on biosecurity:

Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 3, 2022

no fish deaths
No signs of ich
No ammonia
Sg 1.009

skimmer is skimming very well.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 3, 2022

no fish deaths
No signs of ich
No ammonia
Sg 1.009

skimmer is skimming very well.
Good to hear its going smooth. I am setting up a tank for my Inverts and I am starting to lower salinity this evening in my DT. I have a very similar situation to you as I have just a couple coral and some inverts but extensive rock work in an 1100 gallon display.
What are you using to measure your SG.? All I have right now is a BRS refractometer and my Apex. I know Jay recommends Lab Grade so I am looking now.

angelsandtangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along as I may have to do this with my tank.
I started my tank last night mine is a fowlr so no biggie .. I actually had humble fish come over and look at my tank and had a few fish showing ick spots and possible flukes so he thought hypo would be best for 35 days .. I’m done adding fish so hopefully this will be it and I can sit back and enjoy .. gl on your hypo

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear its going smooth. I am setting up a tank for my Inverts and I am starting to lower salinity this evening in my DT. I have a very similar situation to you as I have just a couple coral and some inverts but extensive rock work in an 1100 gallon display.
What are you using to measure your SG.? All I have right now is a BRS refractometer and my Apex. I know Jay recommends Lab Grade so I am looking now.
I use a refractometer I bought from marine depot years ago. I made sure it was calibrated (it was, no adjustment needed).

the hardest part of all this was quickly learning everything, and then changing out saltwater for DI water all week.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 5 2022

purple fire fish dove directly into octo 4 pump, shredding him overnight. He didn’t get pulled in based on how I found him, he forced himself into the flow… probably got spooked at night or something :(
Wrasse still MIA

SG 1.009
No ammonia

hippo tang scratched today against rocks but zero white dots on all fish.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I guess my hippo tang was hiding ich for almost 11 months and he got stressed out and got ich. Then it has now spread to other tank mates.

so, I got a 55g quarantine to house 15 fish. But before doing this, I was reading on the humble fish website (thank you for what you do) about hyposalinity to treat ich.

good stuff I have going:

I only have a couple zoas and acans in my display, that’s it. I don’t have a ton of corals or anything. I have an established smaller quarantine tank already going.

can I just treat my fish in my display, using hyposalinity and then just bring the corals back in when I’m done with the treatment? This would be significantly easier than netting all the fish out and treating them with copper.
Sand will play a big role.. if ur bare bottom id remove the few corals u have and hit it with a couple things that are reef safe.. dont want meds getting in your rock and staying in there.. maybe hypo and all the reef safe stuff that barely works would help.
But sandless and fishless for i think humble states 70+ days is gonna be the cure all..

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
geez nos that i read most of all this.. i would never ever go thru this trouble.
I have icke.
I keep my fish fed and supp with vitamins.. every 6 months a tang or two get a spot 2 days later.. gone
This is absurd too much risk and foolery here to only get a egg on a plug in the future …

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
geez nos that i read most of all this.. i would never ever go thru this trouble.
I have icke.
I keep my fish fed and supp with vitamins.. every 6 months a tang or two get a spot 2 days later.. gone
This is absurd too much risk and foolery here to only get a egg on a plug in the future …
Until you have a stressful event and ich takes over :(

I too keep my fish fed and supplement with vitamins.

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been wanting to ask this question if you go buy coral frags colonies or add rock etc and janitors why don’t you have to qt them for 75 days also instead of a few weeks like most recommend to prevent ick or velvet ? Who here QT’s corals and such for 75 days I’m curious ?
I do QT my coral and inverts but only a month, sometimes a few more weeks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've tried to explain this issue to folks; reducing stress is always a good thing. HOWEVER, most people are poor judges as to what actually constitutes stressors in fish. There can be causes of stress that goes unidentified, and then disease breaks out.

A really common stressor are the disease propagules themselves - and when they reach a point, the stress from them impinging on the fish's body overcomes all available "stress reduction" that is in place, and active disease results.

Plan for the best, but prepare for the worst - reduce stress in your fish when/where you can, but be prepared to treat them if that fails.

Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

U stated 4 dots… thats not a event..
Ive had fish sith dots on their eyes and they come back. Ur stressin

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U stated 4 dots… thats not a event..
Ive had fish sith dots on their eyes and they come back. Ur stressin
Oh no,

blue hippo had about 30-35 dots at the worst of it. He was shaking and I thought he was going to die. Kole tang had about 10-15 dots at the worst and wrasses all had five to six. Definitely experienced a breakout and treatment was important to save the life of the fish and prevent any future outbreaks from occurring ever again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back