OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now don't be worried if the spots return and then go away again, I've seen that happen during hypo treatments. As long as the spots don't grow massively in numbers, the treatment will eventually work.

Jay
Got it.

once all spots disappear, start counting 30 days right? Thanks for helping me save my fish.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 22, 2021

fish are all alive. Hippo tang looks like he is feeling better, white dots have minimized but still not at zero dots so we can start the official 30 day countdown. He has a ton of scar tissue but much better than tons of dots. His breathing is somewhat fast but much slower than yesterday.

carpenter wra

ammonia undetectable. SG 1.009

my water station finally caught up and we now have enough water in reserves.

overall everyone looks happier.

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 22, 2021

fish are all alive. Hippo tang looks like he is feeling better, white dots have minimized but still not at zero dots so we can start the official 30 day countdown. He has a ton of scar tissue but much better than tons of dots. His breathing is somewhat fast but much slower than yesterday.

carpenter wra

ammonia undetectable. SG 1.009

my water station finally caught up and we now have enough water in reserves.

overall everyone looks happier.
Is it possible for you to bump up the temp to maintain at least 80.6 degrees? According to Humble.fish that is required to ensure the encrusted cysts hatch within 45 days, opoosed to the traditional 76 day fallow period.

I'm still quite concerned that 30 days isn't going to be enough time to eradicate Ick. I'd hate to hear that you wind up having to do this all over again.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for you to bump up the temp to maintain at least 80.6 degrees? According to Humble.fish that is required to ensure the encrusted cysts hatch within 45 days, opoosed to the traditional 76 day fallow period.

I'm still quite concerned that 30 days isn't going to be enough time to eradicate Ick. I'd hate to hear that you wind up having to do this all over again.
I definitely don’t want to deal with this again. I can bump it slowly as that makes sense. I still haven’t started my countdown, but Jay does mention 30 days of hypo AFTER fish stop showing white dots. I’ll start increasing temp right now.

thank you :)

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,

I am noticing that some fish are pooping white stringy poop. Have everything of course haha.
How should I go about treating that? Wait til hypo is over, throw in prazi pro with hypo? Feed something specific?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,

I am noticing that some fish are pooping white stringy poop. Have everything of course haha.
How should I go about treating that? Wait til hypo is over, throw in prazi pro with hypo? Feed something specific?
Prazi is for internal cestodes, and those really don't cause stringy feces. What color is the poop?

Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is for internal cestodes, and those really don't cause stringy feces. What color is the poop?

Jay
It’s completely white.
The foxface had a string, white poop, very thin and about 8-9 inches in length. The lyretail had a white poop as well about 1” long.

I am feeding with selcon so I don’t know if that has anything do to with it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s completely white.
The foxface had a string, white poop, very thin and about 8-9 inches in length. The lyretail had a white poop as well about 1” long.

I am feeding with selcon so I don’t know if that has anything do to with it.
Probably not the selcon, but it is a fatty acid, are you feeding too much of it?

. White stringy poop has three main causes; mucus from some irritant in the gut, or the fish not feeding well for some time, or an increase in normal gut protozoans.

Did this come on suddenly, or build gradually over time?

Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not the selcon, but it is a fatty acid, are you feeding too much of it?

. White stringy poop has three main causes; mucus from some irritant in the gut, or the fish not feeding well for some time, or an increase in normal gut protozoans.

Did this come on suddenly, or build gradually over time?

Jay
I have been feeding food soaked in selcon 1x a day since this ich fiasco started.

I have seen the lyretails here and there have white stringy 1” poop here and there over the last 6 months. Mostly Normal poop so I would say it built up over Time but I never paid much attention to it until recently, it just seemed normal but I’m not sure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

This is for fowler. Jay's remedy for hyposalinity is correct. Thirty days is accurate for Hypo treatment

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been feeding food soaked in selcon 1x a day since this ich fiasco started.

I have seen the lyretails here and there have white stringy 1” poop here and there over the last 6 months. Mostly Normal poop so I would say it built up over Time but I never paid much attention to it until recently, it just seemed normal but I’m not sure.
Are you by chance feeding brine shrimp, mysis shrimp or both ?
If so, this often mimics internal parasite white poop

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you by chance feeding brine shrimp, mysis shrimp or both ?
If so, this often mimics internal parasite white poop
Yep that’s exactly what I’m feeding. Along with rods and reef frenzy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yep that’s exactly what I’m feeding. Along with rods and reef frenzy.
You may be seeing what theyre eating. Generally with internal parasites, they eat less or not at all

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, Selcon isn't an essential treatment. I would stop using it and then see if the issue clears up.

Here is my issue with selcon: its name implies that it is related to selco. That is a HUFA rich food additive that public aquariums use, it comes from Europe. Selco is nitrogen packed, an oily liquid that once opened, has to be refrigerated. How then can a product with similar ingredients (selcon) be sold in a shelf-stable form with no expiration date and no need for refrigeration? If that were possible, don't you think the original manufacturer would use that process also?

Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll stop using it and see if it goes away.

today all the fish are looking good.

ammonia undetectable
Hippo still scratches but no increase in white dots. All wrasses showing no dots. If by Sunday we continue to see this positive impact, I will begin the 30 day countdown.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

FYI - I wrote up a short article on hyposalinity yesterday and posted it as a sticky:

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

FYI - I wrote up a shirt article on hyposalinity yesterday and posted it as a sticky:

Jay Hemdal
Awesome write up. Thanks for doing that, very clear and explains the why and how.

question on the post - you mentioned 75 degrees at 1.009. Right now I am at 1.009 at 78.9 degrees.

should I drop my temp and measure, or am I good where I’m at?

update:
“Black ich” signs on hippo tang is completely gone. No white dots on body, just one spot left on tail.
Wrasses show zero symptoms.

all fish alive and eating. We’re almost at Sunday to start the 30!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up. Thanks for doing that, very clear and explains the why and how.

question on the post - you mentioned 75 degrees at 1.009. Right now I am at 1.009 at 78.9 degrees.

should I drop my temp and measure, or am I good where I’m at?

update:
“Black ich” signs on hippo tang is completely gone. No white dots on body, just one spot left on tail.
Wrasses show zero symptoms.

all fish alive and eating. We’re almost at Sunday to start the 30!
Most laboratory hydrometers are calibrated for 75 degrees. Most refractometers have automatic temperature compensation, and most swingarm hydrometers are set for around 79 degrees, so you should be fine.

Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most laboratory hydrometers are calibrated for 75 degrees. Most refractometers have automatic temperature compensation, and most swingarm hydrometers are set for around 79 degrees, so you should be fine.

Jay
Thank you!!

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 26 2021

today begins the 30 day countdown

All fish are alive - however, for the last two days my tiny wrasse completely disappeared. I’m hoping he’s just asleep… or stuck in the overflow and eventually finds its way to my filter socks.
I really don’t know, I’m at a loss of where he went.

ammonia test read .25, but it was resolved. I increased my skimmer to be a bit more watery, and threw in some microbacter7 along with amguard. I have not tested my Ph, but the aquarium does sit in a very ventilated area. I know I should be testing Ph..

All fish are showing ZERO white dots and are all eating like normal again :). I guess it is now safe to say I don’t have hypo resistant ich.

No more stringy poop since I stopped feeding selcon last 2 days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back