I’m not sure how to feel about this…

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So..a couple weeks ago I bought a glitterbomb goniopora, a dream coral for me, and it was relatively expensive. I have several other goni in my tank which are doing well long term so I figured I was ready. Got the coral and it expanded only minimally for me in the first week, so I sought advice from the seller(this is a retail coral seller..not a private person). They advised me to try moving the Goni around since this Goni can be temperamental about light and flow. To facilitate this I mounted the frag on a smaller piece of rock so I could move it around easily, and put in a more shaded spot. The next morning checked it out and the coral is completely gone…frag plug still there but clearly the glue has given way and the coral is now on the loose in the rocks, never to be seen again by me. I messaged the seller again to let them know what happened and included a pic of the plug minus coral that clearly shows a clean plug…ie not just a frag of coral that was being picked on. No response from seller. I feel wronged…but not sure how I should proceed.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened to me with “designer” mushrooms so many times I won’t buy them again.

I’m sorry this has happened. I don’t know if the seller will feel they are responsible or liable. A clumsy snail could have pushed against it and knocked it loose.

I would suggest turning off all flow and hunting for it with a flashlight

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened to me with “designer” mushrooms so many times I won’t buy them again.

I’m sorry this has happened. I don’t know if the seller will feel they are responsible or liable. A clumsy snail could have pushed against it and knocked it loose.

I would suggest turning off all flow and hunting for it with a flashlight
I’ve looked, believe me! This is not the type of coral to be knocked loose by a snail.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have/whats your stock list? By any chance do you have a decorator crab? Honestly seems like something a triggerfish or decorator crab would do

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No..the frag came loose from where the seller glued it. I had simply moved the plug it was on.
Unfortunately most of us have also lost frags into the abyss also so we feel your pain. I would keep looking though because flow may allow it to pop out somewhere.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry this happened, definitely sucks! That said, I don't think the seller is responsible/liable for the loss in this situation.

Also, and this is probably obvious but, if the coral is resting face down it will not be recognizable as a coral. I would be looking for anything that looks out of place, loose, or different and flip it over to see if it's the coral.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look every day but nothing so far. $300 worth of lost coral is just so painful lol!
I had a nice red goni that got a bacteria infection and died. I completely removed it from the rock. Nothing left just gone. 6 months later this pops up in the same spot so don't give up hope on it yet. Maybe bribe a crab or urchin to go look for you too.

Attachments

• 20231217_151546.jpg
    20231217_151546.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 33

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?

Did you ever find it?

I couldn’t bring myself to purchase a high priced coral or fish for that matter. I’ve had my tank for years but the minute I got something nice disaster would strike.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back