I added a diamond watchman goby who is missing. When's it safe to add a new one?

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a diamond watch a goby on 27 June. It's now 29 July (I'm from the future). The last time I saw him was 29 July, and he seemed healthy, active and was eating. I haven't seen him since then.

I ordered 2 other fish at the same time, which are both fine. I have a tight fitting lid and while it's possible he jumped, I haven't seen a corpse (I guess the cats or dog could have got it, if it did jump?). He's not in the overflow, so he's either hiding in the tank or dead. I haven't seen an ammonia/nitrate spike, but maybe I wouldn't.

The tank is just over 3 months old (waterbox 130.4, display is around 95g) I have a lawnmower blenny (maybe a topic for a new thread but is it possible for fish to be overweight?), a lubbocks fairy wrasse, a pair of clowns and a neon cleaner goby. Everyone is pretty relaxed and non aggressive.
I'd still like a sandsifter. How long should I wait before adding a new one? I don't want the old one to show up and them have a turf war.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always get one tomorrow, if you just put it off today.

OP
OP
lmfbs

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always get one tomorrow, if you just put it off today.
It's a little trickier in NZ because we get fish shipments pretty irregularly, so if I don't get the one available now, I could be waiting months. That's not really an issue though, if I have to wait, I have to wait.

I've just seen no sign of my wee buddy.

If he's not dead, they'll likely fight, right? Pretty unlikely they'll live harmoniously?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little trickier in NZ because we get fish shipments pretty irregularly, so if I don't get the one available now, I could be waiting months. That's not really an issue though, if I have to wait, I have to wait.

I've just seen no sign of my wee buddy.

If he's not dead, they'll likely fight, right? Pretty unlikely they'll live harmoniously?
If you follow my logic closely, you will always wait until tomorrow and never buy one today, preventing any potential hostilities.

I think if it has been in hiding for this long it needs to be rousted out by something, if it's still alive? I love my sand sifter, a yellow headed sleeper. Who knows, they might hit it off and pair up for you.

OP
OP
lmfbs

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you follow my logic closely, you will always wait until tomorrow and never buy one today, preventing any potential hostilities.

I think if it has been in hiding for this long it needs to be rousted out by something, if it's still alive? I love my sand sifter, a yellow headed sleeper. Who knows, they might hit it off and pair up for you.
Oh sorry, totally missed what you were getting at. Thanks - this sealed the deal for me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back