I am failling my Corals and Nem and I don't know what should I do next

PetitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2reef Community.

a few weeks back i battle an infection in my tank and was glad to overcome it and all my fish are heatly now.
However, 10 days ago my corals started dying and bleaching.

It first started with one of my Torch Euphylia, that started to receed, then i notice my snails were dying and my bubble anemone didn' seems happy.
I thought then that something might be wrong with my water and while investigated, the last change i did in the tank. was cheging my solenoid for my RODI water by a new one that was in brass and also find out an expose magnet rusting in my salt water mixing station

upon realizing my mistake i right away removing it, Added Cuprasorb in the basket under my reefmat with carbon in a bag and started changing the water.
On my 300l system, I changed 5 time 60 liter with tropic marin pro over the weekend and after the 5th one, took a water sample for ICP.

during the week, I did two other 60 liters water change.

But my corals keep dying:
First euphylia dead
second euphylia completely receed and close to death
two montipora bleach, third one showing sign on the border
stylophora bleached
some acropora starting STN while other loss color but still show polyp extension.
anemone completely closed up under a rock

(will add picture / video tonight)

Saturday morning i received my ICP result
I have elevated Tin, manganese and Iron so I added polyfilter and continued my water change.

my other parameters are
Alkanity : 7.1 (a bit low as if i increase too much the AFR, the calcium goes too high, i could increase the alk with sodium bicarbonate if necessary)
Nitrate: 3-5
Phosphate 0.0 to 0.04 (only have the regular phosphate Hannah not the ULR)
running also ozone during the night (15 min each hour)
and have an oxydator for peroxyde diffusion
No UV.
Light is radion G6 XR30 pro
pumps are two MP40 on reef crest during the day and lagoon during the night (one on the back, the other on the side)

TP All for reef for calcium/alk/mag/trace supplement
TP phosfeed and NP Plus daily to prevent my phosphate to bottom up.
started TP Iod once after seeing the low level in the ICP.

Tank was started with live rock in November 2022.
Was moved in November 2023 (keeping rock and corals in water during transport - sand washed at 90% and 10% untouched to reseed after moving)

1707732398305.png

I am not completely sure that my water is that toxic to explain whats happening to my corals and start to think it could a bacterial infection. but i am a bit at loss at the moment and i am afraid that by trying to fix i am making it worse.

is there anything i could do or i just have to wait to stabilize now and accept the losses :/

thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would get an ICP test done asap to rule that out. Edit, i see you just got results, however, unsure of timeline, you took that sample prior to having any issues correct?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2reef Community.

a few weeks back i battle an infection in my tank and was glad to overcome it and all my fish are heatly now.
However, 10 days ago my corals started dying and bleaching.

It first started with one of my Torch Euphylia, that started to receed, then i notice my snails were dying and my bubble anemone didn' seems happy.
I thought then that something might be wrong with my water and while investigated, the last change i did in the tank. was cheging my solenoid for my RODI water by a new one that was in brass and also find out an expose magnet rusting in my salt water mixing station

upon realizing my mistake i right away removing it, Added Cuprasorb in the basket under my reefmat with carbon in a bag and started changing the water.
On my 300l system, I changed 5 time 60 liter with tropic marin pro over the weekend and after the 5th one, took a water sample for ICP.

during the week, I did two other 60 liters water change.

But my corals keep dying:
First euphylia dead
second euphylia completely receed and close to death
two montipora bleach, third one showing sign on the border
stylophora bleached
some acropora starting STN while other loss color but still show polyp extension.
anemone completely closed up under a rock

(will add picture / video tonight)

Saturday morning i received my ICP result
I have elevated Tin, manganese and Iron so I added polyfilter and continued my water change.

my other parameters are
Alkanity : 7.1 (a bit low as if i increase too much the AFR, the calcium goes too high, i could increase the alk with sodium bicarbonate if necessary)
Nitrate: 3-5
Phosphate 0.0 to 0.04 (only have the regular phosphate Hannah not the ULR)
running also ozone during the night (15 min each hour)
and have an oxydator for peroxyde diffusion
No UV.
Light is radion G6 XR30 pro
pumps are two MP40 on reef crest during the day and lagoon during the night (one on the back, the other on the side)

TP All for reef for calcium/alk/mag/trace supplement
TP phosfeed and NP Plus daily to prevent my phosphate to bottom up.
started TP Iod once after seeing the low level in the ICP.

Tank was started with live rock in November 2022.
Was moved in November 2023 (keeping rock and corals in water during transport - sand washed at 90% and 10% untouched to reseed after moving)

1707732398305.png

I am not completely sure that my water is that toxic to explain whats happening to my corals and start to think it could a bacterial infection. but i am a bit at loss at the moment and i am afraid that by trying to fix i am making it worse.

is there anything i could do or i just have to wait to stabilize now and accept the losses :/

thanks for your help.
I'm curious how you cured the fish infection?

OP
OP
PetitReef

PetitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get an ICP test done asap to rule that out. Edit, i see you just got results, however, unsure of timeline, you took that sample prior to having any issues correct?
Here the time line for Clarity

• January 17th : treat Fish infection with eSha GDEX ( skimmer without cup, removed oxydator for 3 days )
  • January 23rd : Install new solenoid with brass - Rusted magnet already in mixing station december (only submerge for a few days as fixed on top of reservoir)
  • January 27th: Torch is not happy, ans stylo polyp closing
  • February 1st: Euphylia closed, stylo polyp only on tips, montipora bleaching. notice that i don't see my smaller snail anymore (big ones and my urchin unaffected)
  • February 2nd: reeding the forum and identifiy the issue with brass and RODI. remove the solenoid and order cuprisorb and a triton test. start water change.
  • February 3rd: received cuprisorb and place in sump. continue to do water change (60l at a time)
  • February 4th: After 5 x 60L water change i take a water sample for triton in the evening
  • February 5th: send the water sample to Germany
  • February 8th: Triton receive my sample
  • February 10th: receive the result : https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/185834 and add poly-Filter in sump

Last edited:
OP
OP
PetitReef

PetitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Perhaps residual copper poisoning"
Copper and Ozone together may be an issue?

Possibly, yes. Copper is strongly bound to organic matter in seawater, which often reduces its bioavailability and toxicity.

Ozone may tend to keep breaking some copper free of that binding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back