I am thereefingspider

Great question!!! Welcome to reef2reef!!!!!
4AF2A3DF-E8B0-4FAC-A5E1-228C6D4F9B96.gif
 
Hello @thereefingspider and welcome to R2R!! Glad you joined us!! For the short term your planted tank water is fine for reef top-off but eventually you will have to get an RODI.
 
Wanted everyone thoughts on using the waste water from a planted tank as the ato water for my reef. In nature this happens naturally and I’m positive it has some benefits but I’m not sure of any drawbacks.

Welcome! Glad you joined. "just say no"

You are comparing something on much larger (planet) scale to tiny plant and its "filtering" so the idea has significant flaws, not limited to picking up additional minerals (and fertilizers) in plant soil when draining off. My tap water would be MUCH better than my drainage water from my plants, but for my aquarium I use RO/DI water.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/local-reef-club-discussion.516/
This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new