i bought a chalice coral and a different coral came with it what is it?

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i bought this chalice coral today and i was looking at it from the side and i saw this little other coral on the side of it that isnt the chalice coral. it looks kinda like a zoa and i dont want zoas. does anyone know what this is? i handeled this whole thing without gloves so i really hope it isnt a zoa

IMG_6525.jpg IMG_6526.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some kind of paly? It's hard to tell because it doesn't look totally happy/extended yet and the pic is kind of blurry.

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea it looks like a zoa or paly you can try to remove it from that frag and put it on a frag plug to see how it grows out

mnreefer327

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a zoanthid or palythoa. When you remove it, wear rubber gloves and goggles/glasses and don't remove it in your tank. Take the frag out, remove it with safety gear on (I usually just use a razor blade to take one polyp off), rinse the frag off with fresh tank water and put it back. You could try gluing the zoanthid/palythoa onto a frag plug, but I usually don't risk putting a ticked off polyps in my tank that could possibly release palytoxin.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a zoanthid or palythoa. When you remove it, wear rubber gloves and goggles/glasses and don't remove it in your tank. Take the frag out, remove it with safety gear on (I usually just use a razor blade to take one polyp off), rinse the frag off with fresh tank water and put it back. You could try gluing the zoanthid/palythoa onto a frag plug, but I usually don't risk putting a ticked off polyps in my tank that could possibly release palytoxin.
Run activated carbon. It won’t hurt anything. Especially a single polyp like that. Unless maybe it’s paly grandis but even then I don’t think it would hurt anything to put it back in. Palytoxin is more of a danger to us than our tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Paly and zoa generally do not cup themselves like this especially since no lashes/skirt is showing
My guess would be a mushroom

Back