fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine .0113 PPM
Barium .0093 PPM
Zinc .0019 PPM

I use ESV B-Ionic 2 Part. I have been suffering with dyno's for a while. Before I follow Macks Reef I was told to get everything in line.

Phosphate .06
Nitrate 4.6- I put in Seachem matrix blocks 2 months ago and it dropped my nitrates to zero. I just removed them and dosing nitrate to increase. Tank mostly SPS with some softies.

Mag 1440
Calcium 430
Alk 8
Salinity 35

Don't know what to do and what to use?

Any thoughts?

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed more if you have fish. I have 2 fish in my 25g and I keep my nutrients up. NO3 10ish and PO4 .1-.14. I am battling Dino’s as well. It depends on which Dino you have as to how you fight it. Some you need to dose silicates others UV.
Have you looked at them under a microscope?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about your nutrients Phosphate looks fine and Nitrate is just on the low side.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years old. Eventually dino issue.
So you have Dino and want to manage it?
First of dinoflagellates (plankton inside the corals) and Dino are the same and if your corals are unhappy they get expelled from coral and reproduce on brightly lit surfaces (sand, exposed rock etc..). This is most likely your source.

Anyways there are many ways to deal with Dino and I found the method that worked for me is outlined here by Fauna Marin:

Hope the link works. Lot of information there.

Important steps are on page 9 and page 10.
I never used RedX or DinoX so from my point of view those are not required. I am also not sure if they work or not but they are really just temporary solutions so you can address the main cause (page 10).

Good luck,

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also battling dinos. My tank is about a year and a half old. Part of the natural order of things if you started it off with all dry rock (like I did). I've been having some good success with adding live rock from the ocean (Tampa Bay Saltwater rock). Been in for about a month now and I'm starting to see a decline in the amount on my rocks and sand. I'd say a 50% reduction at this point.

So my suggestion is try to increase the amount of bio diversity in the tank and wait it out before adding all sorts of chemicals and what not. I make it a rule never to add anything I'm not testing for. In your case Iodine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back