I don’t know who to trust anymore! SERIOUS PROBLEM!

Layne.Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the problem starts with the brand new Hanna Salinity checker I got from BRS yesterday. This morning I went through the proper setup protocol for calibrating it in the provided 35ppt solution. After calibrating it I put it back in the solution just to double check it was correct and it was only off by 0.01 reading 35.01 so I felt like this was more than an acceptable margin of error.
After finishing this I was exited to test the salinity of all my tanks with my new toy. To my surprise the salinity was extremely low in my tanks. So low in fact that I could not believe it. So I tested each five times and they all came back with 32.04ppt every time.
My next step was to compare this to my supposedly trusted refractometer I calibrated it and then tested my tanks with it and it read 35ppt witch has been my tanks salinity according to that refractometer for more than a year.
I typically would tend to believe the refractometer more than the Hanna because it’s not a piece of technology that has more possible things that could go wrong with it.
I am now taking this into question though because my corals have not been very happy this year with little to no growth for no apparent reason as I have been extremely consistent with my tank parameters.
Another fact that leads me to believe this is my tropic marine pro reef salt has been low on Alkalinity when I batch it up. This would make sense because tropic marine is known to have a alkalinity of around 7. But has been consistently low every time at an average of better 5 and 6 so I have to manually add more to it. This makes sense because if I am reading the salinity of my salt in my fresh batches as higher than it is. This would reflect in all the other parameters showing lower than they should be. When In reality they where probably right on but for a lower salinity level.
Am I going crazy? I don’t know what to think? Should I trust the refractometer or the Hanna?

Last edited:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy calibration solution.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh missed that. Sorry

Can you get a zero on the refractometer?
Also get a zero on the Hanna.

I would trust the Hanna over the Refractometer. Some refractometers have temp compensation. I wouldn't think that it is as much as you are seeing but it could certainly be an issue. You can check this but heating the water in the microwave and testing and then cooling in the fridge and testing this should give you a ballpark range.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust the refractometer. IMO, the Apex salinity probe is just for fun and I would NEVER make adjustments based on it's readings. Frankly, I don't even look at mine anymore.

*Edit, sorry I misread and thought you were talking about the Apex. I don't have a Hanna so can't comment.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust and use my Hannah salinity checker. It should be calibrated frown time to time. Did you try calibrating the Hannah again just in case?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh missed that. Sorry

Can you get a zero on the refractometer?
Also get a zero on the Hanna.

I would trust the Hanna over the Refractometer. Some refractometers have temp compensation. I wouldn't think that it is as much as you are seeing but it could certainly be an issue. You can check this but heating the water in the microwave and testing and then cooling in the fridge and testing this should give you a ballpark range.
Really? I wouldn't trust the Hanna over a refractometer ever. I've found them less than accurate in my experience.

OP
OP
Layne.Wilson

Layne.Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found the hanna to be a reliable unit also. If you want something you can really trust though, get a precision floating hydrometer from BRS and a 500ml beaker to float it in. I use that to check other devices.
I had one but it shattered putting it back in the case lol

JJ440

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna salinity and the Milwaukee digital refractometer. They seemed to match up pretty well as far as results. I had a similar issue with my refractometer also and tried 2 different calibration fluids. They both yielded different results. I then tried a brand new bottle of calibration fluid that gave me yet another result. Around the same time I purchased the Milwaukee I took a water sample to my LFS and it matched what I would get when testing with the Milwaukee.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hanna because of the same issue w refractometer readings. I have 3 refractometers, did all with fresh calibration liquid all 3 diff. Floated solution to match temp of tank and tried, all 3 diff. Bought hanna, checked my tank and 3 other people with successful tanks and they were all reading at the salinity the owners have for their tanks. Been using only it for a couple months now

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the exact same issue!

Calirated both my Hanna and Refractometer with their respective calibration fluids.

Then tested both of them on the refracto juice and both were dead on 1.026.

Then tested my tanks. The refractometer reads much higher then the Hanna. 1.028 vs 1.024.

The only thing I could think of was the Hanna is properly compensating for temperature while the refractometer is not.

Also, remember they use different technologies...refracto is light and Hanna is conductivity.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found the hanna to be a reliable unit also. If you want something you can really trust though, get a precision floating hydrometer from BRS and a 500ml beaker to float it in. I use that to check other devices.
Sorry- I had this confused. The milwaukee is the one that I have found to be reliable. The hanna led me down a garden path...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back