I don’t know who to trust anymore! SERIOUS PROBLEM!

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is that after calibration, they all read the refracto juice at 35ppm. However, the tank measurements are 1.024 vs 1.028, with the refractometer being the higher number. Since Hanna and the GHL are consistently the same, I have to bet the BRS refractometer is off.
My 2x refracto juice read 2.5ppt lower than my AquaCraft and 5ppt lower than my Brightwell x2.
I made saltwater matched with AquaCraft today with ESV Seawater and my Hanna Alk came out to be 8, then I increased the salt to match the Brightwell and it came out to 8.7, which is closer to what is should be.
I've been using my refracto bottle for a long time (and couldn't figure out why I was having issues with Acros) I don't think I ever took an Alk reading when I calibrated it to the refracto, it must have been 7. something. ESV is supposed to be around 9.
So confusing, my latest decision is to use the Brightwell, but to make my salt read 1.025 and not 35ppt. I've also considered mixing 50/50 AquaCraft and Brightwell, like 2-drops of each on the refractometer and then going to 35ppt.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2x refracto juice read 2.5ppt lower than my AquaCraft and 5ppt lower than my Brightwell x2.
I made saltwater matched with AquaCraft today with ESV Seawater and my Hanna Alk came out to be 8, then I increased the salt to match the Brightwell and it came out to 8.7, which is closer to what is should be.
I've been using my refracto bottle for a long time (and couldn't figure out why I was having issues with Acros) I don't think I ever took an Alk reading when I calibrated it to the refracto, it must have been 7. something. ESV is supposed to be around 9.
So confusing, my latest decision is to use the Brightwell, but to make my salt read 1.025 and not 35ppt. I've also considered mixing 50/50 AquaCraft and Brightwell, like 2-drops of each on the refractometer and then going to 35ppt.

I wouldn't trust the refractometer....

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use table salt, why not use your sea salt?

Yeah I did that, I was just asking if I had to,let the solution sit for a while, I tried the table salt method, it seemed to mix within minutes but the result was way off, so looks like I’m doing something wrong.

you want to use the purest form of NaCl (sodium chloride) that you can get. Whether that's sea salt or table salt. It's most likely table salt because it will have fewer non-sodium chloride ions/elements.

It's possible your refractometer is just way off.

To mix mine, I put it in an empty plastic water bottle and shook it for like 2 or 3 minutes.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want to use the purest form of NaCl (sodium chloride) that you can get. Whether that's sea salt or table salt. It's most likely table salt because it will have fewer non-sodium chloride ions/elements.

It's possible your refractometer is just way off.

To mix mine, I put it in an empty plastic water bottle and shook it for like 2 or 3 minutes.
I don’t think it is the refractometer, as when I mix salt, I follow the bucket instructions and get exactly 35ppt. Can’t think what I’m doing wrong, maybe the wrong type of salt, I use sea salt in the house, so bought table salt for this, got the cheapest so maybe that’s it?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back