I found this article of Dino's and found it very informative

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even though it appears that I am on my way to getting dinos under control, I really want to make sure I do not get overpopulated with them again. So I am trying to do some research to educate myself. I found this article really really informative. For instance I was not aware that dinos were a necessary part of the food chain. In the article it mentions several thing that work on very specific type of dino but says that most aquariums do not have those types. One of the things was Hydrogen peroxide. Which according to this article kills the good types of dinos and microbes, but leave the pest dino unphased, and now without any competition. One thing I regularly see on this forum is, " I tried H202 and it didn't help, if anything it got worse"... Yes, and this is why.

Last edited:

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even though it appears that I am on my way to getting dinos under control, I really want to make sure I do not get overpopulated with them again. So I am trying to do some research to educate myself. I found this article really really informative. For instance I was not aware that dinos were a necessary part of the food chain. In the article it mentions several thing that work on very specific type of dino but says that most aquariums do not have those types. One of the things was Hydrogen peroxide. Which according to this article kills the good types of dinos and microbes, but leave the pest dino unphased, and now without any competition. One thing I regularly see on this forum is, " I tried H202 and it didn't help, if anything it got worse"... Yes, and this is why.
Could you post a link to the article? It sounds pretty interesting.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another interesting thing I saw in my own tank that made sense from this article was that he specifically mentioned was that dinos love trace elements, especially potassium. I can prove this in my tank with my graph from my Triton test's. I have had some issues with chemistry in my tank and was getting a triton test about every 4-6 weeks for a few months. I was doing WEEKLY water changes for most of this time with red sea blue bucket (which mixes at 380-400ppm), yet my potassium kept dropping.

potassium.PNG

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back