I. Hate. This.

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the past year or so I have seen to have a bit of bad luck with my fish. I had a fire fish get bullied to death by clownfish, I had a midas blenny jump through a hole that I am convinced was smaller than him and died, I had a flame angel wedge himself into the rockwork where he died, and now just today my new flasher wrasse got a ******* bite taken out of him by God knows what Becuase he was the biggest fish in the tank. It can't be my 9 dollar chromis or a lawnmower blenny, no, it has to be my favorite most expensive fish I have wanted for years. Am I doing something wrong here?

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the full stocking and tank size? Clowns can be real jerks. One of the best decisions I made in my tank was moving my pair out - after that I could actually have a functional community.
I only had the 2 clowns, a coral beauty, a lawnmower blenny, and a green chromis.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had the 2 clowns, a coral beauty, a lawnmower blenny, and a green chromis.
Honestly, it could be a combination of those fish.
Clowns are just mean, and generally the dwarf angels don’t like other angels, and same for blenny on blenny. You could have had multiple cases of the similar fish beating up on the others.
I had to rehome a coral beauty for being too mean in my 40B

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clownfish are territorial and dominating fish whereas firefish can be very docile and are also jumpers. When stocking, you want to consider level of aggression as well as size potential.
Prior to loss, have/had you noticed fish breathing heavy or suddenly stop eating?
Have you seen chasing at others in tank by the clowns? They are notorious biters and will use their teeth
Is there adequate hiding for the fish?

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the things you mentioned taught you something at least. 50% of this hobby is experience. Not all of it good. Head up and be patient.
Yep...lost many fish and coral starting up...IT SUCKS, ITS EXPENSIVE...but don't give up. Patience, and you will be rewarded.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn’t mention tank size yet. That can be a big factor with clowns and the CB.

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn’t mention tank size yet. That can be a big factor with clowns and the CB.
It's a 40 gallon cube. Since the clowns were my first fish they think they own the whole tank and always go after new fish making them hide in the rocks forever.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 40 gallon cube. Since the clowns were my first fish they think they own the whole tank and always go after new fish making them hide in the rocks forever.
Hum. Are your clowns babies or adults?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the past year or so I have seen to have a bit of bad luck with my fish. I had a fire fish get bullied to death by clownfish, I had a midas blenny jump through a hole that I am convinced was smaller than him and died, I had a flame angel wedge himself into the rockwork where he died, and now just today my new flasher wrasse got a ******* bite taken out of him by God knows what Becuase he was the biggest fish in the tank. It can't be my 9 dollar chromis or a lawnmower blenny, no, it has to be my favorite most expensive fish I have wanted for years. Am I doing something wrong here?
A 40 gallon cube doesn't offer a lot of real estate where these guys can stay out of each others faces. When you look at a tank in terms of "territory", the size of the footprint is really the most important part because that is what creates distance between fish liable to be territorial.

Maybe you can throw another rock or two in there away from the others? Or do you lack the room?

Frosty Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My money is on clowns. Especially the large female. They always bit the heck out of my hand when I had to move something a long time ago with my 14 gallon nano cube. I don’t think the other two even have teeth.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris clowns in my experience are nice as long as they have a fairly large area that they own (probably over over half your tank with a tank that size). Are they ocellaris? Most other clowns can be even bigger jerks

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris clowns in my experience are nice as long as they have a fairly large area that they own (probably over over half your tank with a tank that size). Are they ocellaris? Most other clowns can be even bigger jerks
Yeah, they're not as nice as they are in cartoons. That's for sure. :grinning-squinting-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back