I have 3 Radion XR15 Pro Gen 5 and they’re extremely bright

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech states 25% or less reduction. 5-10 par reduction seems near impossible given you're adding a layer of plastic between the light and tank
I can attest that I only lost about 10 par on my readings after installing the diffusers.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I wish I went with the blues over the pros because I prefer the blue spectrum to the blues. But then I thought the blues probably wouldn’t grow SPS as well as the pros because of the lack of white….
I've read more than once that some exchanged the blue for a pro not because of lack of growth, but they didn't like the color of their sps under the blue's.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sometimes I wish I went with the blues over the pros because I prefer the blue spectrum to the blues. But then I thought the blues probably wouldn’t grow SPS as well as the pros because of the lack of white….
They definitely do grow SPS and colors them up better.

This is from reef builders.

What is less subjective about the Radion Gen 5 Blue and what its spectrum means for aquarium corals is how some of them look, especially with a very generous helping of the novel Cyan LED color which is almost like a greenish blue. We expected that the Cyan spectrum would bring out more of the orange fluorescence of some LPS, but we were pleasantly surprised to discover its interaction with fluorescent yellow and pink colors.

Our yellow torch corals have never looked brighter, and the fluorescent pinks and yellows of our SPS is better than anything we’ve ever seen before. It’s important to emphasize we’re referring to the fluorescent yellow and pink, which are quite different from chromatic pink pigment like those found in birdnest, catspaw, and some montipora.

In our experience the only thing that brings out chromatic pink color is warm white lights, either LEDs or fluorescents, but the Cyan LEDs bring a special pop to the fluorescent pink of Acropora, especially the colors found on the corallite tips and edges of A. tenuis, A. vermiculata, and several others. It’s always a fun surprise to be initially apprehensive about the look of the Radion G5 Blue – because we’re so used to how our corals looked – and now the color is so much richer that we wouldn’t go back for anything
!’

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read more than once that some exchanged the blue for a pro not because of lack of growth, but they didn't like the color of their sps under the blue's.
Oddly enough I prefer that blue look some prefer the white look.

SPS pop more with the whites that’s for sure

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ecotech states 25% or less reduction. 5-10 par reduction seems near impossible given you're adding a layer of plastic between the light and tank
I believe the 25% reduction estimate is for G4 diffusers. As far as I know, ecotech does not claim a specific number for G5 diffusers.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough I prefer that blue look some prefer the white look
Yeah but that's not it. The Blue's have a cyan channel which has a weird teal color according some if i remember well, the blue of the Pro's just looks better.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the white channels turned up they sure do. But while running ab+ i found these lights lacking when I took par readings on my tank.
I saw a video that said the pros when run on the AB+ run at 80% but when the blues run on the AB+ run at 100% therefore the blues run a higher par only when running the AB+ with no other mods. I think it’s a BRS video.

the pros have a higher par if all at 100%

now I just need to go see both in person so I can pick which one I like better.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afraid if I dial up the whites I’ll burn the corals. That’s white light is harsh
if you dial up all the colors like " james" said but dial the schedule % of the entire program the light will not be as bright but you will get the full spectrum you of the AB+ or any preset program or any modified program you make .
What I learned was say you have a color, lets say white to Point intensity set 100% the top of the page of the program, then have the color set to 100% . Then on the schedule page set the program to say 50%, you will see the program will only give you 50% of the white light...
You can see this by the programs bar graph.
This is what I was told...

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you dial up all the colors like " james" said but dial the schedule % of the entire program the light will not be as bright but you will get the full spectrum you of the AB+ or any preset program or any modified program you make .
What I learned was say you have a color, lets say white to Point intensity set 100% the top of the page of the program, then have the color set to 100% . Then on the schedule page set the program to say 50%, you will see the program will only give you 50% of the white light...
You can see this by the programs bar graph.
This is what I was told...
Like this

6E85B745-A92B-4EFD-8800-59C9120151F5.png

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Overview

For Radions controlled via the Mobius app, you have the ability to adjust each individual Point Intensity and the overall Schedule Intensity. Below you will find a description of both Point and Schedule Intensity.

Point Intensity: Adjusts the brightness or intensity of the specified points. It will not adjust your color channel percentages or spectrum in any way, simply how bright the point appears. In the photo below you can see the Point Intensity is set to 100% as well as several Daytime Color channels.

Steps:

1. Power on all Mobius controlled devices
  2. Open the Mobius app
  3. Select the tank containing your Radion(s)
  4. Select the Lighting tab and click your desired schedule point
PointInt_box.png

Schedule Intensity: Adjusts the brightness or intensity of your schedule as a whole and will shift all points. The shaded area represents your actual Schedule Intensity where is the dotted line displays your potential maximum Schedule Intensity. In the photo below, the Schedule Intensity is set to 50%, and the dotted line shows the 100% maximum Schedule Intensity.

Steps:

1. Power on all Mobius controlled devices
  2. Open the Mobius app
  3. Select the tank contacting your Radion(s)
  4. Select the Lighting tab and adjust your Schedule Intensity
scheduleintbox.png

I just pulled this off the ecotech support page...wwwsupport.ecotechmarine.com hope this helps you. Very good informational page... Lets you read for yourself...

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this

6E85B745-A92B-4EFD-8800-59C9120151F5.png
yes .. see how the shaded area changes... so even though the colors are 100 percent or what ever you have them at you will only be getting 68% of the point on your graph... I try to keep things simple so during my grow spots middle of the day I have all the colors at 100% but the schedule is say 50%. I am guessing that I am getting 50% brightness of 100% of the color...

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the older apogee meters weren't made for LED lights. Do you know what model meter it was? Or did you take a picture of it when you had it?

I have low PAR readings with my XR15 Pros as well, but I'm chalking it up to the fact I have an acrylic lid the light is going through. My coral are mostly happy so I'm leaving it. The higher PAR in the bottom corners may be due to reflection from two sides of glass vs one side for the middle reading.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back