I have a fingery mess

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lavey29
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2021
Messages
15,161
Reaction score
16,360
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my nice leather finger coral that I have had well over a year is bothering my SPS frags. I had glued the leather to a rock base and it completely formed its own strong foot base too. I have tried to forcefully pull this thing out and it won't budge. I'm worried it will go nuclear with turpenes to if I man handle it to much. Cutting is not an option right? How should I approach this dilemma?

20221004_162339.jpg 20221004_162352.jpg
 
Sharp razor or scissors. Cut it at the base. IME, turpenes are blown out of proportion. I frag my leathers right in the tank with no carbon and no issues with any other corals both LPS and SPS.
 
Sharp razor or scissors. Cut it at the base. IME, turpenes are blown out of proportion. I frag my leathers right in the tank with no carbon and no issues with any other corals both LPS and SPS.
Wow, I hope I have the same luck as you. If I cut it at the base do I need to cover the stump with anything?
 
Wow, I hope I have the same luck as you. If I cut it at the base do I need to cover the stump with anything?
Nope. It will probably regrow, albeit fairly slowly.
 
Sharp razor or scissors. Cut it at the base. IME, turpenes are blown out of proportion. I frag my leathers right in the tank with no carbon and no issues with any other corals both LPS and SPS.
This, hack it off with a fresh razor blade. It's not gonna die, just multiply. If we were local I'd take it off of your hands.

Now you know to place it on a rock that's forgiving next time, lol.
 
I think I'll chop him off at night when he is sleeping maybe it won't hurt as much.
 
I think I'll chop him off at night when he is sleeping maybe it won't hurt as much.
Actually, that’s when I tend to do it. Not because I can’t bear the howling screams of my leathers but rather the polyps are retracted so it’s a smoother cut and easier to see the area to cut.
 
Actually, that’s when I tend to do it. Not because I can’t bear the howling screams of my leathers but rather the polyps are retracted so it’s a smoother cut and easier to see the area to cut.
I'm still gonna add an extra bag of carbon
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new