I have a question about a cheap Chinese black box.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, as promised... it looks like this is the driver you need (and it comes with the dimmer):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30x3w-led-d...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I needed another light on my frag tank, so I ended up buying another light fixture (which is the one you guys are looking to 'build')...

180w_fullinside.jpg

driver.jpg

dimmer.jpg

driver2.jpg

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, as promised... it looks like this is the driver you need (and it comes with the dimmer):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30x3w-led-driver-pwm-600ma-/231854297929?_ul=BR&nma=true&si=am%2BaeR3J8wQUN9G4TEo6j1SFxL0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I needed another light on my frag tank, so I ended up buying another light fixture (which is the one you guys are looking to 'build')...

180w_fullinside.jpg

driver.jpg

dimmer.jpg

driver2.jpg
Thank you, this helps, it gives me something to search for. Your drivers are 550mA. The link you sent looks like a 600mA. Do you know what the difference is? I will need four so I was looking at one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-30x3w-Di...003494?hash=item35f41ffbe6:g:v10AAOSwYHxWKZ3i

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-30x3w-Di...019467?hash=item35f4203a4b:g:v10AAOSwYHxWKZ3i

Last edited:

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, this helps, it gives me something to search for. Your drivers are 550mA. The link you sent looks like a 600mA. Do you know what the difference is?

50 milliamps :p

The model number is the same, perhaps there is an adjustment made, or it is just plain mis-information; or perhaps there is a range tolerance. Most of the LED bars/pucks I build are 300mA using the same LEDs, which are spec'ed at 400-500mA.... Someone with a real background in electric theory would be better to answer that...

However, you are right, if the current is higher, you do run the risk of burning out the diodes...

Anyway, your second link would be the best bet. However, look carefully for markings when you open yours up again. Match it to those specs... Worse case, you would be safer with the lower current...

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you install it?

This is a good question. The one I just purchased had nice connectors on everything. If that is the case with yours, then either you need to find the matching connectors, or you need to cut them off and soldier on the new driver's wires.

One thing at a time though... Get the replacement drivers (see my previous post for a better suggestion); then we can walk you through replacing them :)

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, your second link would be the best bet. However, look carefully for markings when you open yours up again. Match it to those specs... Worse case, you would be safer with the lower current...
I got 2 ordered. They cost almost as much as the light did. I went to eBay to look up the light I have to see if it had the specs on it. They are all gone. There were dozens of auctions with the same light. I wonder why they stopped selling it. I watched BRS video on black boxes. These have a better board. The lenses are not the focus lenses and every led and lens is sealed to the board water tight.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the new driver in I wired it up and it didn't work. I then noticed the factory wiring had the red and black reversed at one of the connectors. Swaped the wires and it worked. The driver is suppose to be 50-100 volt. I was getting 124. Not sure if that is going to burn out the light quicker or not but it is working now.
20171005_102638.jpg
20171005_101733.jpg

lauderdalestunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 on my 90 mounted on-top of the wood canopy for years. Keep the whites on the lowest possible setting and the blues no more than half. I feel I could fry an egg underwater if I wanted. I don't feel the need to spend $$ when getting good results. I do like the new features like the built in timers and remote control.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I hijacked this thread but I have been trying to figure out how to do this for months. I hope anyone else trying to fix these lights finds this tread. I just did my second light and videoed it. Here is what I did.

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man do toy have a brand on this light, o have the same one. Or a website I could go look at to figure out the controls?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...

The channel brightness can be adjusted individually from the brightest to the darkest by the button of the back of the lamp. And the controller has built-in memory function which means it can restore your last set when start up next time.

Battery inside dead (if one)

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it on ebay it doesnt have a brand name but I will try and link it for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back