I have a question about a cheap Chinese black box.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am going to get a new light eventually, I just wanted to fix mine so I can put it on timer.

Motthunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I on the other hand think the Kessil and other lights are overpriced.. Building my own from the DIY kit got me super quality at an affordable price.. I hate to sound like a troll, but so far the chinese stuff I have found is more like a toy than a tool.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but when you can get a Chinese black box for 68 bucks and are on a tight budget it is tempting. Also the one I got seems to be keeping coral good,like I bought a ducan that has 10 heads and it now has 20.

Motthunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a different experience than I had as well as others.. You did well. My coral never grew until I added more PAR...

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the same lights. The problem is the controller is only controlled by remote. Once power is lost they reset to full power. I ended up disconnecting The white band and have only blue running. The lights in the video has manual dimmers. I have taken them apart and had an led shop look at them. The only way I figure that these will be able to stay dimmed on a timer is to replace the driver.

I have two 180w lights on a 55 gallon. I half the less disconnected so it is still o my 180w total. I have a Kessil AP700 on my 120 gallon tank. I think the black boxes are brighter and has more growth than the tank with the Kessil.

I am watching to see if you get it figured out.

Evee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i don't think there is away to fix it, thats why wheni was purchasing minei looked for one whit a internal timer,i think is because when you put on a timer there is no power at all ,so nothing to keep the memory on your settings on less you can find a way to put a relay to keep some power on the light to keep somepower on i don't think it canbe done ?

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I buy some more I will look for the ones with the manual dimmer knobs. I am sure there is a place that sells the diver at a reasonable price I just have never been able to find it. I have been thinking of hooking the qhotea back up and turning it into a sps tank.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I figure that these will be able to stay dimmed on a timer is to replace the driver.

Right, this is exactly what I said above... The driver needs to be replaced with a potentiometer...

The video is just an example of replacing the 'dimmer module' with another 'dimmer module' which is exactly what OP needs to do...

Hi i don't think there is away to fix it

I am 100% positive this unit is 'fixable', however it would require replacing the remote dimmer module. I have literally built these things from scratch, not to mention modified my 'Chinese black box' lights.

@rcpalmer1 If you are comfortable tearing the unit down and using a soldiering iron, I (and possibly others) can help you make the light fixture usable. If you are not interested in fixing them and are just going to not use them, I will give you the face value price as long as you cover the shipping fee.

Also, 'coral-wise' with the right LED configuration, you can get excellent coral growth. A lot of the time, the LED configuration is the same or VERY similar to high-end fixtures; they are just not a pretty or functional. Your corals are not going to really care about all the fancy features.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i where to switch out the remote module with a dimmer module, how would I change the light settings?

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay but there is like four different settings plus if i wanted to dim the lights, like to turn on just the blue lights.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If yours are the same as mine inside there is a white box with two wires coming from the ac in. Out of the other end there are 3 wires. A common ground and a dc positive going to each channel. It has been a while but if I remember correctly when pushing the dim button it would go from around 40VCD to 80VCD. From what I have seen there are other drivers that have an additional set of wires the go from 1-10 volt on a POT that controls the dimming. I get home a midnight. If I feel up to it I will take it apart tonight and post some pictures.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170907_185742.jpg

20170907_185742.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back