I have a wrasse I need to remove...

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any suggestions on getting a wrasse out of the tank? He’s been killing off my anthias and needs to go. He’s a multicolored wrasse about 4” big. Net won’t work

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle trap.
Don’t use a hook and bait

Last edited:
OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think hook and bait is smart. My angel and others will be all over that like flies on chit. I tried a Gatorade bottle and that sob wasn’t having it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fish trap ALL THE WAY. Caught three quite easily with trap. Nice ones on eBay and Amazon

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had really good luck using my acclimation box as a trap. I have an actual fish trap, but they are much more willing to swim into the box... probably due to the size.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had really good luck using my acclimation box as a trap. I have an actual fish trap, but they are much more willing to swim into the box... probably due to the size.
I feed them in the box for a week or so so they're accustomed to eating out of it. Nori and frozen foods in a turkey baster, keep trap door open. :)

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plastic juice carafe to catch my wrasses. Picked it up at a Marshal's/Home goods store for $4. Put some food in and tie a piece of fishing string to the neck of the carafe. Works like a charm every time in less than a minute. That's as long as the fish you want makes it in.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them in the box for a week or so so they're accustomed to eating out of it. Nori and frozen foods in a turkey baster, keep trap door open. :)

I usually just throw a couple of clams in there so they don’t blow around... doesn’t take wrasses too long to go investigate them :) I caught my lineatus twice (2-3 weeks apart... I’d tried to re-introduce it with no luck), in less than an hour lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I do the Very same. I get them within 2-3 days

trap3.jpg
trap2.jpg
trap.jpg

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the soda bottle trap shown above, with a wider opening, to catch a ruby head. I froze Masstick onto the trap in a path from the opening to the interior to lure the wrasse in. They know and love the Masstick so it worked like a charm. I was surprised that it really could not find its way out of the trap.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This bottle is what I did, got 12lb fishing line from walmart, and poked a hole and tied in 4 spots evenly spaced. one spot tie a long fishing line so that you can pull the bottle upright when the fish is in.
In time- You will nab him. best of luck

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back