I have almost completely eradicated dinoflagellates overnight.

Tbowser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure which Dinos I have/had :) but this is the first thing that has cleared them up as much as it has. I would not say that it is 99% gone but I'll take 75% in a little over 24 hours. Sad thing is is that I almost lost all my SPS frags. The only thing that is making it out of this for sure is my Zoas and fish. I'll try to post another video today or tomorrow.

I had bought the Innovative Marine UV sterilizer that fits right into my 25 gallon lagoon in case anyone was interested in what I was running.

-Tim

Chris37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV works, I've done it in the past. One thing I've learned is to keep the UV light on the system for several weeks after you see no sign of Dino.
I am having a serious dino problem. I dont have a microscope so I dont know exactly what type of dino's I have in the tank. But, I purchased a UV called the green killing machine and Flourish Phosphorus to dose Phosphates. Do you think this will work? Do I need to manually remove it, as well?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Green machine isn't bad but will cover up to a 40 gallon tank

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a serious dino problem. I dont have a microscope so I dont know exactly what type of dino's I have in the tank. But, I purchased a UV called the green killing machine and Flourish Phosphorus to dose Phosphates. Do you think this will work? Do I need to manually remove it, as well?
It's difficult to say exactly for the reasons you mentioned. You might have guessed right but usually If you don't know what strain of Dino you're combating then you're playing pin the tail on the donkey. Randomly treating for something you aren't testing for begins to get expensive which is why getting an iD is so helpful.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll move it to the cabinet soon. I wanted to start by pulling directly from the display.

IMG_0613.JPG
Sorry to get off topic but what lights are you using and do you like the setup? I’m going to be looking for a set of lights for my 75g build

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally not trying to hijack this thread but I have been struggling with what I think are dinos for the past 2 months or so. First was bubble algae, started dosing vibrant 5 months ago but now I have what is more snot bubbly like that I cannot get rid of. Thinking of buying the aqua shield UV for my nuvo 10 and blasting the rocks at night. Any help would be appreciated

IMG_6303.jpg IMG_6304.jpg IMG_6307.jpg IMG_6305.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Totally not trying to hijack this thread but I have been struggling with what I think are dinos for the past 2 months or so. First was bubble algae, started dosing vibrant 5 months ago but now I have what is more snot bubbly like that I cannot get rid of. Thinking of buying the aqua shield UV for my nuvo 10 and blasting the rocks at night. Any help would be appreciated

IMG_6303.jpg IMG_6304.jpg IMG_6307.jpg IMG_6305.jpg
As soon as tonight or tomorrow night turn lights off for the next 5 days . Using a turkey baster blow the stuff loose and net or siphon up. Also at night, add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10gallons for the next 5 nights.
During the day, add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Continue to feed fish as normal BUT DO NOT FEED CORAL FOOD TO CORAL OR ADD NoPox to tank which will feed Dino.
Day 6, turn blue lights to normal schedule and whites at 10%, then add whites 5.% each day until normal schedule.
Good Bye dinos !!

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as tonight or tomorrow night turn lights off for the next 5 days . Using a turkey baster blow the stuff loose and net or siphon up. Also at night, add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10gallons for the next 5 nights.
During the day, add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Continue to feed fish as normal BUT DO NOT FEED CORAL FOOD TO CORAL OR ADD NoPox to tank which will feed Dino.
Day 6, turn blue lights to normal schedule and whites at 10%, then add whites 5.% each day until normal schedule.
Good Bye dinos !!
Ive been dying to do a blackout but I feel that my nems will be very very ticked

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive been dying to do a blackout but I feel that my nems will be very very ticked
In this case leave blues on at 5-7%

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. So this time I don't have Ostreopsis, this stuff sticks to the rock and sand and moves around a lot. Can anyone identify the species? The photos are terrible, I know, but I did notice that they seemed to have a couple of notches in their cell wall. They seem to not dissipate into the water column as much at night as the Ostreopsis did. The last time I checked, NO3 and PO4 were both zero. Once I realized that this stuff is probably dinoflagellates (just not the species I'm used to) I removed the PhosGuard, Chemiclean, and added carbon for the toxins (initially thought my test kit was wrong and it was diatoms until I looked at the microscope). I have been dosing 10ml Seachem Nitrogen and 5ml Phosphorous for four days now. I knew that it wasn't diatoms or cyanobacteria when I noticed limpet shells popping up around the tank. There seem to be toxins released by this species, but I don't think they are nearly as bad as the Ostreopsis (which killed literally EVERYTHING). I guess the limpets are very sensitive to the toxins because nothing else has been affected to the point of death (as far as I can tell). Corals look like crap too but they're alive. Sorry for the rant, hope this is helpful. I'm hoping that it doesn't take six months to beat this strain like the last one (I nearly gave up :( ).
1608593648792.png

Kamers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic thread and this discussion continues in 2021 also.

I have a question can you run UV 24/7 if you are running the tank on carbkn dosing nutrient export?

With my experience of dinos, these do often make their way back even after complete eradication, therefore running UV 24/7 is probably the best way to preemptively manage the infestation through 24/7 UV running.

If someone is carbon dosing regularly, then would the UV kill the nitrate eating bacterias in the water column?

Does carbon dosing increase population of bacterias in water column or on the rock surface?

Sorry too many questions!

Tbowser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mike cy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure which Dinos I have/had :) but this is the first thing that has cleared them up as much as it has. I would not say that it is 99% gone but I'll take 75% in a little over 24 hours. Sad thing is is that I almost lost all my SPS frags. The only thing that is making it out of this for sure is my Zoas and fish. I'll try to post another video today or tomorrow.

I had bought the Innovative Marine UV sterilizer that fits right into my 25 gallon lagoon in case anyone was interested in what I was running.

-Tim
What type of dinos did you have?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back