I have almost completely eradicated dinoflagellates overnight.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll move it to the cabinet soon. I wanted to start by pulling directly from the display.

IMG_0613.JPG

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey whatever works! this has definitely given me a new decision to make as i've been through a lot of changes to no avail and this one would be a positive addition regardless.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, did a 20% water change yesterday. I can't find any dinos anywhere today. I'm calling this a success.

No more updates from me unless things go south. I'll continue to watch the thread if anyone has any questions about my setup.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a UV hooked up to my system a year ago, but took it down because of limited space under the stand that made it a PITA to do any work under there. UV was always in the way and plumbing it outside the stand was forbidden. A few months ago my tank got Dino's and wanted to set up the UV to run at night when the Dino's are in the water column. I had a canister filter I wasn't using so I hooked up the UV to the canister filter and had it draw from the DT and drain into the filter sock. I temporarily set it up next to the tank and every night right before the lights turned off I would blast all the Dino's off the rocks with a turkey baster to get them into the water column for the UV. Within a week the Dino's where gone but I continued doing this for another 2 weeks. Glad I didn't sell the UV last year. I can have the canister filter and UV set up in minutes and taken down just as fast.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a UV hooked up to my system a year ago, but took it down because of limited space under the stand that made it a PITA to do any work under there. UV was always in the way and plumbing it outside the stand was forbidden. A few months ago my tank got Dino's and wanted to set up the UV to run at night when the Dino's are in the water column. I had a canister filter I wasn't using so I hooked up the UV to the canister filter and had it draw from the DT and drain into the filter sock. I temporarily set it up next to the tank and every night right before the lights turned off I would blast all the Dino's off the rocks with a turkey baster to get them into the water column for the UV. Within a week the Dino's where gone but I continued doing this for another 2 weeks. Glad I didn't sell the UV last year. I can have the canister filter and UV set up in minutes and taken down just as fast.

I'm still running it 24/7 and will continue to do so I think. The water is much more clear in general and I've noticed all of my hair algae is diminishing even though I have NO3 5ppm and PO4 0.13ppm

I doubt I'll ever run a tank without one now. Corals look happier than ever.

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same exact sterilizer on my 125. I change the bulb once a year. I do have a massive amount of snails and other critters that cleanup, but I mostly credit not having any hair algae to the sterilizer and my phosphate reactor. My tank has been algae free (visually) for 3 years now.

TracyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, I looked it up and it says algae also. I was hoping to get some macro at some point would that be a no go?

TracyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro would be just fine. It will only get rid of stuff in the water column.
I have it on my sand bottom. First time ever. 18 mos fowlr, added some coral, mushrooms (1wk ago) and changed to LED lights (2wks ago) then to 20% WC per wk then in one day boom it was there.

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any before and after pictures of your success? I am currently fighting the same thing.
good to see there may be light at the end of the tunnel with these buggers

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any before and after pictures of your success? I am currently fighting the same thing.
good to see there may be light at the end of the tunnel with these buggers

Funny you ask. I was looking for some before photos to add to the thread, but I didn't take any. Thing is, every time Dino's came back I would get depressed and not even want to look at the tank lol. I had a morning after photo from the effects of the first night of UV. It's mostly the dead white scaffolding they put out with a hint of brown.

APC_0144.jpg

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you ask. I was looking for some before photos to add to the thread, but I didn't take any. Thing is, every time Dino's came back I would get depressed and not even want to look at the tank lol. I had a morning after photo from the effects of the first night of UV. It's mostly the dead white scaffolding they put out with a hint of brown.

APC_0144.jpg

Yeah I hear you on that. I don't have any photos of my nasty looking Dino infested tank either. When you microscoped it were you able to identify the strain of Dino's you had?

The ones I have are the ones that look like a million sesame seeds zooming around. Ostrepsis or something like that. I'm sure I butchered the scientific name.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they were ostreopsis as well. I didn't seem to lose a lot of inverts but I've notice that everything in my tank is ZOOMING around now so they were definitely lethargic due to the toxicity.

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ yep thats the same as what I have too. which is funny because maybe this kind isn't the invert killer everyone makes it out to be.
some say that's the tell tale sign is when your snails start dying. But I have seen my snails mow half my back glass clean in one sitting and be fine!

I'll have to give the UV a try. I have stopped doing water changes and that has definitely kept it at bay. Not much daily growth in Dinos anymore but not enough to say I see a decline just yet.
But I am also struggling to get my nitrates to raise above 0. I have been feeding heavily and still nothing (but I still have my skimmer running) The dino's have halted any growth in the fuge and the macro's are slowly dying.

I may try dosing some nitrate and phosphate before buying a UV unit. Is the 55w unit too big for my 30g cube? or is overkill what we are aiming for here!
I ask because I have a 75G that I will be upgrading to once I beat the battle with the dinos. However if they bloom back up in the new tank I'd like to still have an adequate unit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back