I have an extra hermit crab now ???

  • Thread starter Thread starter baba.aqua
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

baba.aqua

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2025
Messages
76
Reaction score
22
Location
ottawa, ontario, canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey GANG,

I put in 3 hermit crabs in my tank,

The other day I noticed a crab without a shell, and still have three hermit crabs in their shells? Where did it come from??
 
I believe that some of it may be eaten by the crab itself after it molts. I forget where I read that though.
A lot of things eat shedded skin, its a good source of nutrients and to also hide their tracks. I had Leopard Gecko's when I was younger and they did the same thing. Only thing I can think of that doesn't really eat their shed would be snakes, so it makes complete sense that crabs would do it (hard shells probably don't)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 38 31.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new