I have flatworms. What do I do next?

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New tank. Struggling to rid it of cyanobacteria and now I have this. As you can see, I’m pretty sure I have flatworms all over the tank glass. They’re really tiny. About half the size of a copepod. This is under 40x magnification. as anyone here dealt with this and were you successful? Salifert Flatworm Exit seems to be the choice.

7 gallon -inhabitants: trochus snail, cerith snail, 2 anemone cleaner shrimp, 1 yellow clown goby, kogi wada nepthea, lemonade stereonephthya, pom pom macroalgae, purple candelabra and grube’s gorgonian.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

New tank. Struggling to rid it of cyanobacteria and now I have this. As you can see, I’m pretty sure I have flatworms all over the tank glass. They’re really tiny. About half the size of a copepod. This is under 40x magnification. as anyone here dealt with this and were you successful? Salifert Flatworm Exit seems to be the choice.

7 gallon -inhabitants: trochus snail, cerith snail, 2 anemone cleaner shrimp, 1 yellow clown goby, kogi wada nepthea, lemonade stereonephthya, pom pom macroalgae, purple candelabra and grube’s gorgonian.

May be planaria type. While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png

OP
OP
N

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I plan on siphoning it tomorrow. I’m considering a springer damsel or 6 line wrasse, but I’m on the fence because I don’t think I want a wrasse in my tank long term. I’m gonna plan on using the flatworm exit and hopeful nothing dies off. The flatworms are really tiny, almost microscopic, so I’m hoping toxins aren’t too high before I’m able to change the water and siphon the dead ones out

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back