I have no idea how to set up this sump.

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited this sump from a retiring reefer, along with some misc. plumbing, but I decided to redo the plumbing because I'm using a new cabinet, so the old plumbing doesn't fit.

Heres' the thing: I've never had a sump nor have I ever plumbed anything like this. I've attached some pictures, but I know they're not very good so I'll get better ones if/when requested.

I'm gonna just list some questions I have:

1) Where should my return, refugium, and skimmer go?
2) Where should my drain pipe go?
3) The internal overflow has 2 lines which seem identical. However, in the plumbing I was given, they split one of the lines into 2 drains, leaving a total of 3 paths the water could go. Is the split just so I can install a second filter sock? I assume that the second line should be used as an emergency line, with the PVC staying outside of the water so I can hear the drain if there are any issues (am I right?)

The PVC in the picture is what I have built to match the pieces, but I could certainly show you guys the OG pieces too.

Now, this is all based on what I was given. If anybody has a better idea on how to plumb it, go right ahead. It's not like I have any idea what I'm doing anyway.

IMG_1579.jpg IMG_1578.jpg IMG_1577.jpg IMG_1576.jpg

Last edited:

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay do you have a protein skimmer? Also a filter sock holder, and better pics of the over flow box , gate valves and ball vales should be used to help control water flow, wjat returns pumps ect

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay do you have a protein skimmer? Also a filter sock holder, and better pics of the over flow box , gate valves and ball vales should be used to help control water flow, wjat returns pumps ect
I do have a protein skimmer- it's a discontinued Current Fission skimmer- has a pump with it, hangs over the edge and dumps directly back into the sump. (https://www.current-usa.com/files/FissionPowerSkimmerManual.pdf)

No filter sock holder yet, but I can get one. I'll take a few pictures of the overflow box in a minute, and I already have 2 ball valves, but I plan on getting another. As for a return pump, I'm still searching. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watches BRS TV on y I u tube they have a great segment on plumbing, unions are great to have , that way you can take them apart to clean and service if needed, drains should be 1 inch, returns around 3/4 make sure you have a valve on both ends, also keep in mind you want your return pump after the bubble trap, micro bubbles can be iratating in your display, skimmer and drains usually are the first chamber, refugium usually in the middle or close to the end, and last the return pump with a check valve is last

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watches BRS TV on y I u tube they have a great segment on plumbing, unions are great to have , that way you can take them apart to clean and service if needed, drains should be 1 inch, returns around 3/4 make sure you have a valve on both ends, also keep in mind you want your return pump after the bubble trap, micro bubbles can be iratating in your display, skimmer and drains usually are the first chamber, refugium usually in the middle or close to the end, and last the return pump with a check valve is last
I watched their video, but I'm having more trouble with the small things. In addition to my questions in the first post, how deep into the sump should by return line be?

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched their video, but I'm having more trouble with the small things. In addition to my questions in the first post, how deep into the sump should by return line be?
Your return line will connect to your return pump, and that needs to sit on the bottom of the sump, your drains should be just below water level with a filtersock to help catch anything from entering your sump,

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what rating should I look for for my return pump? I have a 40 gallon breeder and the sump must be between 20 and 30 gallons. I have a 538 GPH pump but it's not marketed as a sump pump.

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so here is werr it can get complicated, a good controlled DC pump is recommended, that pump in your picture in the background looks like the return pump, that over flow looks to maybe flow at best 700gph, now pumps are rated at head pressure, meaning " from the bottom of your sump to the top of your tank should be measured, id say its about 4 feet," pumps say what flow rating at different head pressure, so 4 feet would be converted into 4 head, flow through your sump is a argued question with reefers, i have a tad more flow in my setups going through my sump, but thats me, what you want to be careful for is your return pump pumping water faster than your drain can handle, and also you want your pump to be able to keep up with your overflow, to much flow will cause the sumps return pump chamber water level to drop too fast

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so here is werr it can get complicated, a good controlled DC pump is recommended, that pump in your picture in the background looks like the return pump, that over flow looks to maybe flow at best 700gph, now pumps are rated at head pressure, meaning " from the bottom of your sump to the top of your tank should be measured, id say its about 4 feet," pumps say what flow rating at different head pressure, so 4 feet would be converted into 4 head, flow through your sump is a argued question with reefers, i have a tad more flow in my setups going through my sump, but thats me, what you want to be careful for is your return pump pumping water faster than your drain can handle, and also you want your pump to be able to keep up with your overflow, to much flow will cause the sumps return pump chamber water level to drop too fast
It is the return pump, but it doesn't work so I'm looking for a new one.

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the return pump, but it doesn't work so I'm looking for a new one.
I recommend a DC pump with a good controller, Remer this is the heart of your system, and I'd say get one between 1200 and 1500 gph and use a valve and the speed control to adjust flow, that was if later on you wanna add some reactors or anything that needs flow you won't need to run another pump

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a DC pump with a good controller, Remer this is the heart of your system, and I'd say get one between 1200 and 1500 gph and use a valve and the speed control to adjust flow, that was if later on you wanna add some reactors or anything that needs flow you won't need to run another pump
Something like this? I have current loop lights so I already have a controller for it

Current USA eFlux DC Flow Pump with Flow Control | 1050 GPH, 1900 GPH & 3170 GPH Flow Ranges Available | Ultra Quiet, Submersible or External Installation | Safe for Saltwater & Freshwater Systems

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like your sump is set up with a skimmer and other media section, refugium section, and a return section. I also don't see anyway for water to enter the refugium. So you'll either need to run one of the drain lines into the refugium, or T off the return pump with a valve to add a little bit of water to the refugium. I would use the secondary drain line, the one with less water flow.

1591455819768.png

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes make sure the pump dementions will fit in your return pump area
Is that big chamber in the front right where I'd put the return pump? It would be right in my refugium, so I'd definitely line it with sponges or something, but If my understanding of the layout is correct, the back part would be where my drain(s) go, which would overflow into that little area where I could put my protein skimmer, the water goes through the baffles and enters the refugium on the right which turns into the return and goes back to the tank.

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like your sump is set up with a skimmer and other media section, refugium section, and a return section. I also don't see anyway for water to enter the refugium. So you'll either need to run one of the drain lines into the refugium, or T off the return pump with a valve to add a little bit of water to the refugium. I would use the secondary drain line, the one with less water flow.

1591455819768.png
This is a great example wow nice work

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1591455819768.png
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do this! I really appreciate it! Is that the reason why one of the lines was split using a Tee? One goes to the refugium for lower flow, the rest goes into the skimmer area? Then the second independent line (which goes right from the overflow) would go into the media area, where my marinepure and filter socks would be?

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do this! I really appreciate it! Is that the reason why one of the lines was split using a Tee? One goes to the refugium for lower flow, the rest goes into the skimmer area? Then the second independent line (which goes right from the overflow) would go into the media area, where my marinepure and filter socks would be?

That is probably how it was set up before and would work if you did it that way again.

I run a jebao return pump. I bought 2 of them for the same price of one of the "better" ones and put the second on a shelf as a backup. I don't want to wait a week for a new pump to arrive when, not if, the return pump fails. I don't see how big your display tank is, but I'm guessing ~75 gallons? If so, the 4000L pump will work just fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back