I have something eating my fish

davidbradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out why my fish keep disappearing. I have a top over the tank, so I know they are not jumping out. I have Hermit and emerald crabs so they could be grabbing the fish. The only thing I know that is in there besides them is some bristle worms. Has anyone else had this issue?

OP
OP
D

davidbradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is clean. I lost 3 healthy fish. Banded Cardinal, Diamond Golby and a Desinger Clown. I lost one unhealthy clown also. It has to be something in the rocks. I tried to lure it out with a big piece of shrimp but only got hermits peppermint shrimp.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is clean. I lost 3 healthy fish. Banded Cardinal, Diamond Golby and a Desinger Clown. I lost one unhealthy clown also. It has to be something in the rocks. I tried to lure it out with a big piece of shrimp but only got hermits peppermint shrimp.
Where is your rock from and how long have you had it?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
blue planet oceans GIF by BBC America

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah bobbit maybe. Or a mantis. But I’d pin my thoughts on bobbit or similar

OP
OP
D

davidbradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to upgrade to a bigger tank and was thinking about taking my rocks out one at a time and straying them with fresh water to see what comes out of them. Do you think that is a good idea?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said one clown was unhealthy when it died - I’d bet the other fish also had what it did. They got sick and died, and the cuc made them disappear.

OP
OP
D

davidbradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish got eaten or came up missing within 3 days of getting them. I have two healthy clown fish in the tank that have been there for a long time. One was gone the next morning after putting him in the tank and I am finding no remains of any of them. The unhealthy fish was a clown fish I bought with another clown fish to be a pair. The healthy one is still there. I understand that the unhealthy one disappeared, but the healthy fish that disappeared within one day, just does not make since.

OP
OP
D

davidbradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank to a 150 gallon, in the process, I had to move all rocks. The only thing I found that could have been eaten them is two giant bristle worms and one medium size. Apart from that, I had a few large crabs. The tanks seems to be running fine, so I went and bought a Six Line Wrasp and a Yellow Tail Damsel. The fish have made it through 2 nights, which is more than I could say for some other fish that disappeared.
20240420_160951.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back