I just got my first Coral and I had a few questions.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a blasto, Daisy, and GSP just last Wednesday. The Daisy seems to be doing really well, but the other 2 I'm worried about.

GSP keeps retracting it's polyps. I tried checking the water it's fine, added a little current close to it and it did great for most of the day. Just gently swaying. Now it's retracted again.

Blasto is weird. Only half of it will extend while the other half does not. Again tried checking the water chem everything was fine.

I'm confused

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them before online I just thought it looked unique in all the other GSP the store had.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blasto is not usually a starter coral like GSP and polyps are. You might have more trouble with it and other LPS depending on your tank's stability.

GSP can pout for a while after it's moved... I had some that didn't open fully for almost 2 weeks while it got used to the new tank.

Good luck :)

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blasto is not usually a starter coral like GSP and polyps are. You might have more trouble with it and other LPS depending on your tank's stability.

GSP can pout for a while after it's moved... I had some that didn't open fully for almost 2 weeks while it got used to the new tank.

Thank you so much, I hope the blasto does well, I've been keeping an eye on my levels closely.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Couple of questions while I have you. There are a few more corals I want but I wanted to run them by you first.

1 cloves of course
2 Florida recordia mushrooms
3 blue/green simpodium
4 kynra tree
5 pipe organ
6 Zoa!

I'm sure a lot is spelled wrong. I'm still a noob. Any advice would be very helpful

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions while I have you. There are a few more corals I want but I wanted to run them by you first.

1 cloves of course
2 Florida recordia mushrooms
3 blue/green simpodium
4 kynra tree
5 pipe organ
6 Zoa!

I'm sure a lot is spelled wrong. I'm still a noob. Any advice would be very helpful
You've got a lot of potentially invasive corals on your list (including two you already have), so I recommend you do some research on each of your choices before purchasing.

I've been keeping an eye on my levels closely.

How long has your tank been running, and exactly what "levels" are you testing?

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a lot of potentially invasive corals on your list (including two you already have), so I recommend you do some research on each of your choices before purchasing.

How long has your tank been running, and exactly what "levels" are you testing?
I know about the Daisy and cloves being fast growers, I have an island separate for each

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I should be testing others since I have Coral now please let me know what I should test and additives I need to get. I can snag them tomorrow before work

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I should be testing others since I have Coral now please let me know what I should test and additives I need to get. I can snag them tomorrow before work
There's way too much information.... Please read through this and other sticky threads on the various forums and make sure you have a good handle on things before making more purchases.

A 1 month old tank is nowhere near stable.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's way too much information.... Please read through this and other sticky threads on the various forums and make sure you have a good handle on things before making more purchases.

A 1 month old tank is nowhere near stable.

I read this, and I heard the way to skip the algae stage, is to add Macro algae. I have some Drogon's breath

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only get the clove if u really like them , ricordea a lot more difficult than most soft corals very moody, kenya tree beautiful and easy, will not overtake stuff too fast and easy to trim and frag or separate if needed. Zoas are obviously super fun but are in the more intermediate class, you can try one easy fast growing hardy cheap to test and see if your lights flow and stability are in check before getting too many as they will just die and u could have bought Dairy Queen with that money so u basically threw ice cream in the toilet

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back