2 of 8 new corals won't open after weeks

vegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got new corals about three weeks ago. Some of them opened up right away and stayed completely open, one of them opened up at first and then closed up and some of them haven't opened at all.
- GSP, Yuma mushroom, utter chaos zoas and captain jerk opened up immediately and look great.
- Two rasta zoa frags that took longer to open but they look fine now.
- White zombie zoa hasn't opened at all and green palythoas opened for a few days and closed up.

They're all in similar spots, but spaced apart so I don't think it's an issue of them causing harm to each other. Just wondering why some responded so well and just a couple haven't at all, or if anyone's had a similar problem and found a way to speed up the process of getting them to open. I know some corals can take a couple of weeks to open up, but I'm not sure if I should be worried about the green palys or the white zombies since I haven't seen any progress from them at all.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All corals are different, just because one is happy it does not necessarily mean that others will be happy.

Can you show some pics? How old is the tank? What are the parameters, especially nitrate and phosphate? What type of lighting and flow?

Upvote 0

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the questions above: Are all of the corals from the same source? Have you dipped them or checked for pests?

If they aren't all from the same source, some may be taking longer to adjust. I would also double check that there aren't any nudis, spiders, zoa pox, etc irritating those frags.

I've found that after that long, if they are closed up extra tight, they might be a lost cause (that might be a blessing in disguise with the green palys).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the questions above: Are all of the corals from the same source? Have you dipped them or checked for pests?

If they aren't all from the same source, some may be taking longer to adjust. I would also double check that there aren't any nudis, spiders, zoa pox, etc irritating those frags.

I've found that after that long, if they are closed up extra tight, they might be a lost cause (that might be a blessing in disguise with the green palys).
They are all from the same source. I just figured the white spots on the zombies were just part of the coloring but it definitely could be zoa pox or another kind of infection. I don't see any yellow or white spots on the palys.
Can you show some pics? How old is the tank? What are the parameters, especially nitrate and phosphate? What type of lighting and flow?
The tank is about 9 months old. I have an LED light for the fish and a 16HD prime light for the corals. I have a wavemaker, airstone, and surface flow from the filter.

These are the white zombies and green pants under white light.

IMG_5523.jpeg IMG_5522.jpeg IMG_5518.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since Furan isn't available anymore, would a coral dip work to remove zoa pox?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are all from the same source. I just figured the white spots on the zombies were just part of the coloring but it definitely could be zoa pox or another kind of infection. I don't see any yellow or white spots on the palys.

The tank is about 9 months old. I have an LED light for the fish and a 16HD prime light for the corals. I have a wavemaker, airstone, and surface flow from the filter.

These are the white zombies and green pants under white light.

IMG_5523.jpeg IMG_5522.jpeg IMG_5518.jpeg
Take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at. I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock. This will confirm the accuracy.
How did you acclimate the corals and for how long?
Elevate them off the sand bed and they get minimal light and flow at the bottom.

Upvote 0

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Furan isn't available anymore, would a coral dip work to remove zoa pox?

I don't know if anyone has found a good substitute for Furan-2. Although, looking at the two pictures I don't see any zoa pox. The spots in the first picture are normal for that color morph (assuming these are the white zombies), I have similar zoas with the same spots. The spots in the second picture look more like specks of sand, which is common to see on the stalks of true palythoas.

Echoing vetteguy's suggestion to elevate them: In the bottom left corner of the second photo, it looks like there are some other zoas that appear to be stretching for light.

If you haven't seen it already, here is a nice brief guide to troubleshooting. There is advice on zoa pox if you are still concerned about that.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back