I just paid $81 for a 200g box of regular Instant Ocean... ouch.

Antaguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it, that's the thread. I just wanted to share my pain with all of you, lol. $80+ for a box of instant ocean is crazy, but I need salt and my tanks do well with "old faithful." This stuff is getting out of hand..
I really hope that g doesn't stand for gram

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's it, that's the thread. I just wanted to share my pain with all of you, lol. $80+ for a box of instant ocean is crazy, but I need salt and my tanks do well with "old faithful." This stuff is getting out of hand..
Dang!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does suck. Not that this helps now, but buy 3 and get one free from Chewy nearly every holiday season with free shipping. This year they had buy 2 and get 1 free for about a week - limit one per customer, so my wife got a few boxes too. You can also get more of a discount if you sign up for autoship (cancel it later). I got 12 boxes this way and it ended up being less than $40 a box. Shop sales and stock up. If these sales end, this will really suck.

Be on the lookout about thanksgiving, or sales do get posted in here when they show up randomly.

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That does suck. Not that this helps now, but buy 3 and get one free from Chewy nearly every holiday season with free shipping. This year they had buy 2 and get 1 free for about a week - limit one per customer, so my wife got a few boxes too. You can also get more of a discount if you sign up for autoship (cancel it later). I got 12 boxes this way and it ended up being less than $40 a box. Shop sales and stock up. If these sales end, this will really suck.

Be on the lookout about thanksgiving, or sales do get posted in here when they show up randomly.

Yeah, I did the buy two get one free thing last time. Iirc, the boxes were far less expensive in addition to the get one free promotion. I want to say they were less than $50, but I don't remember exactly. I'll definitely be on the lookout for sales/deals in the future. Thanks for the tips!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think it’s MAP now, which means it has to be advertised at a certain price by everyone. I am fortunate to have a friendly relationship with my lfs. I trade in coral for salt. But if you aren’t at that point in your reefing journey, look for sales or other creative ways to barter.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost Canadian prices. We pay $90 for a regular bucket of IO
Screenshot_20240303_124728.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices on salt been heading the wrong way for a while now. Fortunately everything else in this hobby is so reasonably priced.
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:The second sentence of your post is oh so true! First one, maybe.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that Aquarium Pharm is on MAP. It has not been. I hope that it did not change.

LFS can still get massive discounts by ordering more. We did 2 pallets and split it up amongst a few locals, but after it took me months to get paid and for them to pick up their salt, it is just Chewy sales for me now.

I have friends who have airplanes and hobby spouses. This hobby is not that bad compared to some. Need to ask them if they get buy 2, get 1 free spouse specials. Know a guy who spent $2500 on a bottle of Bourbon and $500 is quite regular - which does not even last as long as your new light with wifi (tech that illuminates a tank).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back