I know about the “ugly” stage of cycling but this is ridiculous.

K.miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so glad i found this thread. My tank is about 3 months old and i have the same stuff growing. Maybe not quite as much as yours but its close. I assumed it was coming from po4 leaching out of the dry rock used. I started running GFO which maybe helped a little but not really. Looks like im going to be placing and order with BRS and starting to dose po4,no3 and hitting it with some reef flux

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so glad i found this thread. My tank is about 3 months old and i have the same stuff growing. Maybe not quite as much as yours but its close. I assumed it was coming from po4 leaching out of the dry rock used. I started running GFO which maybe helped a little but not really. Looks like im going to be placing and order with BRS and starting to dose po4,no3 and hitting it with some reef flux
I’m glad it helped! It does eventually get better.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic isn’t the greatest but you can see that the cyano is disappearing. The rocks are almost completely clean thanks to a bunch of snails, and you can see that my new diamond goby is going to town on the sand. I’ve switched to daily 1/3g water changes (averages out to 5g every two weeks). I’m going to see if that keeps things steady. I never would have thought that 0 phosphates could cause such a problem!
image.jpg

K.miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe i missed it but did you add any DR tims one and only or anything like that along the way?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe i missed it but did you add any DR tims one and only or anything like that along the way?
I treated the tank with reef Flux and then dosed nitrates and phosphates daily until I started getting readable levels. I don’t think I had to add Dr. Tim’s. Removing the extra algae also helped. There was a crust of what looked like cyano on the sand. I noticed that the po4 finally showed up when testing about a week or two later.

K.miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Going to be ordering everything and will be starting this same regiment this week

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic isn’t the greatest but you can see that the cyano is disappearing. The rocks are almost completely clean thanks to a bunch of snails, and you can see that my new diamond goby is going to town on the sand. I’ve switched to daily 1/3g water changes (averages out to 5g every two weeks). I’m going to see if that keeps things steady. I never would have thought that 0 phosphates could cause such a problem!
image.jpg
I'm glad things are turning around for you!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad things are turning around for you!
Thanks! My diamond goby has totally remodeled the tank in two days so there’s sand everywhere, but that’s nothing compared to the teddy bear fur!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! My 20g anemone tank just turned the corner and the uglies are gone. Been cycling since January and finally after the last cleaning and WC the diatoms and cyano haven't returned and the tank looks great. Another month or two and I can start moving some nems from the main tank.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back