I know my tang is going to die but....

Toto851

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for asking so many times.......BUT I know I'm going to lose my Tang. He has developed the red/brown blood spots on the head and gills. Also looks to be something hanging off the fish.

Please, Ideas? I really want to get my tank healthy again! none of the other fish have symptoms at this point. But I have lost two so I know that doesn't mean much.

THANKS!!

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to remove it to a QT tank and start treating, hopefully you can catch it in time.

OP
OP
T

Toto851

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What am I treating? I started treating for a parasite (shot in the dark there) and the spots were going away. Woke up this morning to this. He isn't doing well at all!.

Also, I don't have a QT tank.

tigrtraps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What am I treating? I started treating for a parasite (shot in the dark there) and the spots were going away. Woke up this morning to this. He isn't doing well at all!.

Also, I don't have a QT tank.

You've heard this before, you'll hear it again. What did that fish cost you? Least $40? A hospital tank can be setup for $40 (just a 10gal with a hangon filter). Go get a hospital tank, there is literally no excuse to not have one.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you remove the tang and give him a freshwater dip? Use ro/di or distilled water and match the pH and temp of your tank water. I would not go longer than 3 to 5 minutes on the dip. Watch him closely during the dip process. That's definitely a parasitic infection and as bad as it is, he has probably developed a secondary bacterial infection.

If it's flukes, anchor worms, or turbellarians some will drop off during the dip process and you will see them in the bottom of the dip container. You can treat with Prazipro. It is highly likely that your other fish are or will be infected. Prazipro, when used as directed, is safe to use in a reef tank, but a hospital tank would be best.

-Terry

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another diagnosis would be acclimation stress. The blood spots that look like an abrasion. It's from changing salinity or ph or temp fast (or all if the above). I sent you the article, click on "acclimation stress". Also, am afraid that your tank now is infected with black ich.

OP
OP
T

Toto851

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm treating with Prazipro now. Soaking the food with it.

Mike, I'll look into what the treatments are for the Black Ich. I know with the Acclimation Stress that I read about there isn't much I can do but make sure I have great levels and feed well.

As for a QT tank/Hospital Tank. I plan on getting one. Again, I don't have one right now so I was looking for 'quick' help. My next trip into town I will be getting a 10 gal tank for QT purpose. I think one can be purchased at Walmart with everything you need for a freshwater tank for fairly cheap.

OP
OP
T

Toto851

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my Tang this evening. The freshwater dip and PraziPro in the tank wasn't enough. Let's hope the other 3 can make it. Thanks everyone for your help!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back