View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of my zoas have this problem. The symptoms are:
-The stretched body
-Polyp size becomes miniature
-They do not open completely

When I bring new pieces of zoas open wonderfully, but after about 4 weeks the symptoms begin. Check the fragments at the end and there is no pest. I have already done dips but they are still the same

I'm going to go crazy, help

Photo:

View attachment 20170128_151557.jpg

OP
OP
arroyo9831

arroyo9831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the light

Screenshot_20170128-154229.png

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the light

Screenshot_20170128-154229.png
That light seems to be more than enough for zoas especially...where is the placement of the zoas that are stretching? And are they attached to a small enough rock where you could move it in a higher/different spot and see how they react? One of my torch corals were acting up and it was because of the high flow so all i had to do was move it to a new spot and now its completely happy

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the light settings?

It is a capable light but I find that 100% blue channel and 50% white channel works pretty well, with the light a foot or so from the service, and zoas 7 to 12" under the water.

OP
OP
arroyo9831

arroyo9831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light seems to be more than enough for zoas especially...where is the placement of the zoas that are stretching? And are they attached to a small enough rock where you could move it in a higher/different spot and see how they react? One of my torch corals were acting up and it was because of the high flow so all i had to do was move it to a new spot and now its completely happy

Thanks for your response, I moved the fragments with the symptoms in different places but nothing. Some of the fragments did not move them to discard that it was excess manipulation

OP
OP
arroyo9831

arroyo9831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the light settings?

It is a capable light but I find that 100% blue channel and 50% white channel works pretty well, with the light a foot or so from the service, and zoas 7 to 12" under the water.

Hello! The light is set 25% blue 25% white in photoperiod 8 hours. The light is 40cm from the surface, my tank is 37cm high.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stretching zoas are usually low light and low flow issues,,increase both,,flow you can increase instantly but the lighting issue ,,do that gradually

OP
OP
arroyo9831

arroyo9831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stretching zoas are usually low light and low flow issues,,increase both,,flow you can increase instantly but the lighting issue ,,do that gradually

Hi thanks, I use 530 gph in 20 gallons without sump In case it was not light and current, what could it be?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! The light is set 25% blue 25% white in photoperiod 8 hours. The light is 40cm from the surface, my tank is 37cm high.
Most definitely light imo. Problem is, they are difficult to bring back from that point and it may take a month or even 2 before you see any improvement. I would gradually begin adding light maybe 20 percent more blue and 10 percent more white. After a couple weeks bump another 20 blue and 10 white. Wait 2 more weeks, go another 20 blue, another 10 white. That should put you at 85 percent blue, 55 white art the end. More like where you want to be with those lights.

Try buying some new zoas too at some point so you can compare how healthy ones respond. If you see any loose color along the way it might mean your going to fast but they also can shrink down when you increase light too fast...

As for flow in setting almost everything is happiest with more flow than not enough. But not enough is easily noticed by detritus settling on your corals.

OP
OP
arroyo9831

arroyo9831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely light imo. Problem is, they are difficult to bring back from that point and it may take a month or even 2 before you see any improvement. I would gradually begin adding light maybe 20 percent more blue and 10 percent more white. After a couple weeks bump another 20 blue and 10 white. Wait 2 more weeks, go another 20 blue, another 10 white. That should put you at 85 percent blue, 55 white art the end. More like where you want to be with those lights.

Try buying some new zoas too at some point so you can compare how healthy ones respond. If you see any loose color along the way it might mean your going to fast but they also can shrink down when you increase light too fast...

As for flow in setting almost everything is happiest with more flow than not enough. But not enough is easily noticed by detritus settling on your corals.

Thanks!!!! problem solved.

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of my zoas have this problem. The symptoms are:
-The stretched body
-Polyp size becomes miniature
-They do not open completely

When I bring new pieces of zoas open wonderfully, but after about 4 weeks the symptoms begin. Check the fragments at the end and there is no pest. I have already done dips but they are still the same

I'm going to go crazy, help

Photo:

View attachment 20170128_151557.jpg
Do you have powerful flow in your tank? Try placing them somewhere where a liverock will block full contact current sometimes theyre picky about having too high of flow

OP
OP
arroyo9831

arroyo9831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem was:
-A bad configuration of degrees Kelvin -I had the lights very high, were at 40cm, gradually increase the light and notice a small improvement.

So I decided to try lowering the light to 30cm gradually, the zoo reduced the length of the body.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Pic: one of my zoas

View attachment 20170223_172152.jpg

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem was:
-A bad configuration of degrees Kelvin -I had the lights very high, were at 40cm, gradually increase the light and notice a small improvement.

So I decided to try lowering the light to 30cm gradually, the zoo reduced the length of the body.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Pic: one of my zoas

View attachment 20170223_172152.jpg

I'm glad you got it worked out. Those look really good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back