I need some good feedback

Westernace21

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 12, 2015
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some feedback. I go to a University in my town and they have aquariums. The salt water tank was in shambles everything was salted over thanks to a design i have never seen before. in the picture you will see a pipe just pouring at high rate into the Sump bypassing the mechanical and biological filter. All the plumbing is also connected with brass fittings with anyone can tell you that they will hurt any livestock. I need some reasons why that would be. And is it negligent to know that and leave it continue to run and hurt the animals? some please explain the design theory of the tank because the moderator in charge could not.

2015-11-11 20.27.51 (1).jpg
 
Copper isn't very poisonous to fish. I can't see any brass or copper in the picture. Where is it?
 
could the pipe that is bypassing everything by the emergency overflow?
I'm not really sure to be honest. I have never saw something so badly designed. I thought that should be going to the mechanical filter... There's no emergency overflow.
 
It's the plumbing fittings are all brass. Plus the stand next to the sump is rusting from the salt creep.
 
I'm still confused on the red pipe , its a return from a reef octopus skimmer. I wasn't sure that you could just have it hanging over the sump. or whats the point of the return in general??????
 
Okay, I thought so. I mean if there was a code of aquarium filtration building I'm pretty sure it would be a violation. Do you know of any plumbing / electrical codes... Besides it need to be GFCI outlet protected
 
Everything in the tank died. The advisor who let the tank get that bad instructed students to top off evaporated with more salt water. At last check the salinity was 80 ppm.. Need less to say neglect
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new