I Need Some Help from Experts

Shekhar Salunke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hii All,
Recently 3 months back i have set my new salt water aquarium of size 4' x 2' x 1.5'
I have added 35 kg Live rocks any suggestions for what dosing liquid should i have
to give them with how much ML and how..

Please any of you have experience of this please do share for me Thank You...

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First rule -- don't dose anything you can't measure... :)

In terms of dosing, it all depends what you are trying to do with your tank. Is it going to be reef or FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rocks)? If latter, you don't really need to dose anything except maybe calcium if you want coralline algae to really take... but that's a maybe as the stuff will take over in most cases.

For general reef, it also depends on whether your water is coming as a mix or as NSW. Again, this comes down to measuring and then balancing out what it low (either missing or readily utilized by your stock). Assuming your measuring, Ca and alkalinity buffers are the standard and trace elements may or may not be needed depending on your source of water, frequency of water changes, etc.

OP
OP
Shekhar Salunke

Shekhar Salunke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You for Reply,

Its Fish Only with Live Rocks & Yes I want a coralline algae on my Live rocks Purple up, so what should i Do

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easy enough...

Assuming your water is from a mix, the mix should have enough trace elements included. So, the only thing you will need is likely Ca and an alkalinity buffering agent.

Aim for about 400 - 450 on Ca, and about 11 KH. Also, make sure your ph is stable and around 8.2 - 8.5.

They other key thing for coralline is they like lower light, btw

OP
OP
Shekhar Salunke

Shekhar Salunke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 1 more question I have all my water parameters All is ok but still whenever I add fish after a week they dies

Is Alkalinity which i am adding its not having any brand whenever i give dosing in morning nxt days i see my fishes dies :(

can you please suggest what must be the problem sir :(

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will probably require more info before I can guess...

How long have your fish been in the tank before dying? And it dies immediately after you dose for alkalinity?

What kind of fish?

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post your typical parameters that you test for? And what kind of test are you using? Brand and is it a liquid test or strip?

OP
OP
Shekhar Salunke

Shekhar Salunke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a API test kit
I was having fish like True Percula, Filipino Tang, Bicolour Angel, Powder Blue Tang, Lion fish :(

I have Test PH,Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia this all

and all under control

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have your fish been in the tank before dying? And it dies immediately after you dose for alkalinity?

Can you provide answers to above?

Also, at what rate did you add your fish? All at once? Is not how many over what time?

And what type of water are you using?

OP
OP
Shekhar Salunke

Shekhar Salunke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 1 more question I have all my water parameters All is ok but still whenever I add fish after a week they dies

Is Alkalinity which i am adding its not having any brand whenever i give dosing in morning nxt days i see my fishes dies :(

can you please suggest what must be the problem sir :(

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think the first thing is that you're likely stressing your system by adding fish too quickly. An aggressive rate is 1 per week but 1 per month would be much preferred. Adding too many fish to a new tank will stress your biological filter.

Secondly, if you're using water from tap (faucet) or even bottled water you should likely be using a declorinator if you're not already. The chlorine will kill your bacteria and overly stress your fish if not kill them over time.

Last point, avoid additives for now. Get your system stable first before dosing.... If you're mixing from a salt, you'll likely have enough elements and what-not for a FOWLR and growth of coralline. Don't add what you don't need, and can't measure...

the_reef_keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u acclimating your fish?
Have you noticed any white spots or external parasites?
Any inverts?

Ok this is what I would personally do:
Let the tank sit for 75 days fishless
This would eliminate any white spot that may have gotten to your tank because of the powder brown or Filipino tang.
Test the waters ammonia nitrite and nitrate and Alk once a week.
Stop dosing all together for now and get new doing products (could have expired)
Slowly add fish (once a month)
WATER CHANGES!!!
Super important I would do once a week until your problems are resolved. I would also invest in a RODI unit or buy premade SW and RO water.
Also I would try a new LFS or QT all additions

Good luck and happy reefing!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back