Reef Tank Pre-Work

kmccloud8128

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, looking to start setting up a new tank after being away from the hobby for 7 or 8 years. Please let me apologize for what could turn out to be a bunch of already answered questions, but I’m looking for the most updated thinking on much of this.

I’m thinking a 40 to 60 gallon DT with over-sized sump with large refugium. Probably be 9 months till I can start the tank, but I am thinking I can jump start the process of getting my rock ready by setting up a bin in my sons garage.

I am reading a ton of posts about putting in dry rock and live rock in a Rubbermaid bin. My first question is, do you first start of with something like Marco rock and let it sit in a salt water bin with a pump for water flow for x weeks/months and then at some point add live rock?

Questions, any concerns if the garage heats up (Florida) into the mid to high eighties? How long should I wait before adding live rock? When you add the live rock, should you add lights? Do I dose anything during this time??? Do I add any critters during this process?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being from Florida I would skip the whole dead rock process and just get ocean rock from Tampa or KP. Just my 2 cents though.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if you can swing it, go with all live rock .
Being from Florida I would skip the whole dead rock process and just get ocean rock from Tampa or KP. Just my 2 cents though.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if your going to add live rock you do that up front with the dry, but, nothing stopping you from adding it down the road.

Live Rock is not an absolute requirement. Some like it for diversity, some like it for fast setups, but it’s expensive and may come with something you don’t want. Some absolutely swear by it.

After dozens of setups, we only add dry Carib-sea purple rock as customers want that instant reef look without white rocks going green and brown forever.

Bucket, flow, saltwater, and a couple of bottles bacteria and your dry rock will work just as well.

Diversity you’ll get anyways, you can’t stop it, each time you add anything to your system.

No light, change out some water from time to time.

Dry, live, both, simply a personal choice.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put all the rock in maybe add an ammonia source. Put something to add flow. mid to high 80s is probably to hot. Light is not needed for bacterial growth.

OP
OP
K

kmccloud8128

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used live rock in the past and had a ton of issues with stuff that I didn’t want in the tank. My thought was to take some Marco rock and start it up in a bin with some bacteria dosing while some time later get a small piece of premium live rock and place in a 10 gallon QT tank and make sure that I get all the critters off that I don’t want and then put it in with the pre started dry rock.

When I put the premium live rock in the bin, I figure that I will need lights to facilitate coralline growth.

Bottom line, my goal is that I can have the rock soaking & to some extent bio-loaded so when I am ready to start setting up the DT, I will already have clean, pest free live rock for the tank, so no cycling at that point.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used live rock in the past and had a ton of issues with stuff that I didn’t want in the tank. My thought was to take some Marco rock and start it up in a bin with some bacteria dosing while some time later get a small piece of premium live rock and place in a 10 gallon QT tank and make sure that I get all the critters off that I don’t want and then put it in with the pre started dry rock.

When I put the premium live rock in the bin, I figure that I will need lights to facilitate coralline growth.

Bottom line, my goal is that I can have the rock soaking & to some extent bio-loaded so when I am ready to start setting up the DT, I will already have clean, pest free live rock for the tank, so no cycling at that point.
if thats the case used a bottled bacteria and ammonia source on the dry rock in the bin with water movement. Your good once it cycles. Some people think/say you dont need to add additional amount of ammonia but once ccled you may want to add a bit just to keep the bacteria population up.

OP
OP
K

kmccloud8128

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I would think that you have to provide some type of food source for the bacteria. Plus the idea will be to try to provide for sufficient bacteria growth to be ready for a 40-60 DT gallon tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back