I need Tankmates for Coralcatshark!

Braden Dhillon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have setup a 150 gallon tank with a coralcatshark. I don’t know any tankmates that work under my current tank conditions.
No Puffers,Triggers, and anything that will pick the eyes on the shark or hurt it like a big eel
Cannot Be Small Enough To Be Consumed(3”+)
Has to be able to survive 40-100 nitrates normally 40-50 mostly, a few days before prolonged water changes at 60-80, and rarely at the 80-100 range if something has gone wrong(will be fixed as soon as detected).
Thanks

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question I would have is whether or not your shark will be able to tolerate those nitrate levels long term. They are pretty sensitive to them. Honestly the only other tank mates for sharks in a 150 is another shark. I suppose you could try a snowflake eel as they are less aggressive than many of their counterparts and probably wouldn't bother something that is over a foot in length.

OP
OP
B

Braden Dhillon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that cat shark will out grow that tank in a year or less. I'd look at other fish you'd like to keep long term like a nice tang or angel.
I have done my reading and research and talked to shark keepers and a 150 is fine. The snowflake is my only option I guess. The nitrates are perfectly fine for sharks. Sharks like the coral catshark have been kept in 150 nitrates with no issue whatsoever.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done my reading and research and talked to shark keepers and a 150 is fine. The snowflake is my only option I guess. The nitrates are perfectly fine for sharks. Sharks like the coral catshark have been kept in 150 nitrates with no issue whatsoever.
I've kept them too. It will outgrow that tank quickly. I was suggesting fish you'd be happy with after you have to remove the shark. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear but the shark will outgrow that tank. We're all trying to just give you good advice for success. If you already "know" everything then I guess your good.

OP
OP
B

Braden Dhillon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept them too. It will outgrow that tank quickly. I was suggesting fish you'd be happy with after you have to remove the shark. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear but the shark will outgrow that tank. We're all trying to just give you good advice for success. If you already "know" everything then I guess your good.
Ok then I want you to watch this video to see if it is accurate.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then I want you to watch this video to see if it is accurate.

Like I said, I try to give advice with personal experience. Were all trying to help you. You said you talked to shark experts but you post a link to a video. Ok, do as you wish and good luck.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back