I received a box of rocks today.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here is the reveal. The awesome holders @erk made me for activated carbon.
9C28C6D1-C2B2-421D-8FCA-1479E84B44F9.jpeg

I had him make two so they could be swapped out easily. I am a lazy Caveman.

These 3D printed containers each hold 3 Tbsp. of carbon. I think if I were to request it again, I would want them taller to easily fit a few more Tbsp. Nonetheless I swap every 3-4 weeks, so this should work fine for my tank.

At 4x4”, the unit fit perfectly under the handle of my InTank media basket which helps secure it in place. You can see in the picture, I fitted the lid upside down and it slid open when I checked the size. I flipped it after so the lip pointed down and the top set securely.
0F165467-DC93-40A8-8843-9C33E3495A92.jpeg

Thank you @erk !

Those are very nice. Gotta love the customization of 3d printing.
Do you think the AC is still doing anything after the first couple of weeks?

Good morning...
@NY_Caveman I'm not trying to derail your thread. I'm just trying to understand what's happening.

Just out of curiosity, why am I getting so many likes on my posts in this thread?
I have not said anything groundbreaking. I have not made any real contribution to the thread. I just popped in to say hello to a fellow reefer and New Yorker.

So...

The likes are not because I said something stunning. They are not because I am super interesting and everyone at R2R hangs on my every word.

so why all the likes?
What is the reason and purpose for the "likes"?

Because everyone here is simply so nice and wouldn't want to hurt your feelings by liking all the other posts and skipping your posts. Plus, you're good enough, you're smart enough and, doggone it, we like you!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at likes and reactions as support. Sometimes support for what is specifically posted (those often get the specific emojis), sometimes just for being active (with likes). I encourage people who support my threads and the pages I follow.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the AC is still doing anything after the first couple of weeks?
For decades of fresh and saltwater most research I have done says about 3 weeks. That is not a very scientific answer, but it seems about right. Truth is probably dirty or more “contaminated” tanks it lasts less time than newer or more sterile tanks. Also dependent on livestock and other methods of filtration and export.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need any caulerpa dude, I need to harvest?! ;)

DSC_0054 (1024x715).jpg
Drop some in an empty vodka bottle, cork it, write “Caveman, NY” on it and drop it in the Atlantic. 4-6 weeks shipping I would imagine. Unless a shark gets it. Then add a week for the bottle to pass.

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop some in an empty vodka bottle, cork it, write “Caveman, NY” on it and drop it in the Atlantic. 4-6 weeks shipping I would imagine. Unless a shark gets it. Then add a week until for the bottles to pass.

I'll do it in the spring once the water warms up a bit, less stress on the sharks! ;)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop some in an empty vodka bottle, cork it, write “Caveman, NY” on it and drop it in the Atlantic. 4-6 weeks shipping I would imagine. Unless a shark gets it. Then add a week until for the bottles to pass.

As if he has any full vodka bottles about his house! ;)

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here is the reveal. The awesome holders @erk made me for activated carbon.
9C28C6D1-C2B2-421D-8FCA-1479E84B44F9.jpeg

I had him make two so they could be swapped out easily. I am a lazy Caveman.

These 3D printed containers each hold 3 Tbsp. of carbon. I think if I were to request it again, I would want them taller to easily fit a few more Tbsp. Nonetheless I swap every 3-4 weeks, so this should work fine for my tank.

At 4x4”, the unit fit perfectly under the handle of my InTank media basket which helps secure it in place. You can see in the picture, I fitted the lid upside down and it slid open when I checked the size. I flipped it after so the lip pointed down and the top set securely.
0F165467-DC93-40A8-8843-9C33E3495A92.jpeg

Thank you @erk !

Glad they are working out for you. I agree with adding a bit more space. You can always stuff some poly fill into the extra space to keep the carbon from moving around.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am way too lazy for reefing sometimes, but then the tank is often worse off when I do stuff, so perhaps I am just lazy enough. My best tanks ever were in the nineties and I did almost nothing with them.

My last planted tank a few years ago was one of my worst problem tanks ever because I was constantly tweaking and second guessing. Tried to be too “perfect.”

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am way too lazy for reefing sometimes, but then the tank is often worse off when I do stuff, so perhaps I am just lazy enough. My best tanks ever were in the nineties and I did almost nothing with them.

My last planted tank a few years ago was one of my worst problem tanks ever because I was constantly tweaking and second guessing. Tried to be too “perfect.”

as humans we strive to push ourself to do better. In reefing we don’t always do what is best trying to make it better.

moral of story. Sit back and enjoy and find the beauty in a little patch of GHA or whatever it maybe.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as humans we strive to push ourself to do better. In reefing we don’t always do what is best trying to make it better.

moral of story. Sit back and enjoy and find the beauty in a little patch of GHA or whatever it maybe.
+1

Honestly I think our tanks are better when we stay back and don't mess with them so much. I mean just making sure they have the additives and.... water!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now you are sounding like me. My sand has way too much green cyano to be “good” but is is a lovely shade of green. I am enjoying it.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shark Bottle.gif

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back